Author Topic: comp call differences  (Read 7140 times)

Offline Steel Rain Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Steel Rain Custom Calls
comp call differences
« on: September 15, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »
I have been asked several times to make a competition call but I am really not sure how to do this. Is there any major differences between a comp call and just regular hunting call?
Custom made calls for the average hunter at a price you can count on.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
Re: comp call differences
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
If your refering to a main street comp call the answer is yes.  Easiest way to explain it...a call so far on the edge it`s almost a disaster.  The pitch of the top end duck is tough to achieve and then maintain quality duck on bottom.  Top it off, the back pressures, and the required air, and the need for her to track....yes there is ALOT

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Steel Rain Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
ok thanks I just have been asked repeatedly to do one or two for someone who does the comp stuff but I have been shying away from it and just wondered how much more difficult it is to do.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »
Its considered to be the hardest call to dial in.  Ive worked on the design off and on since 2010is.   Ive come close and qualified in 2012 for the Worlds only to blow the worst routine of my life  :stickman1:
RNT doesnt even hand turn them as the tolerances are so tight and the exhaust angles are intricate.  If you look at how few companies offer a mainstreet....youll see that few have nailed it

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Steel Rain Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:19:53 PM »
 :bigup:  :bigup:

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 08:07:35 PM »
Stump is right on with this! I've built 6 comp calls over the years, and out of the 6 only 2 made it to the customer. They are so incredibly hard to tune in without dead spots that I started to wonder if I'd ever get them right.

The biggest part of the equation is being able to run a comp well enough to find the bad spots. I had to sit with a couple of guys for the better part 2 months to get to the point where I could run it enough to find the spots that needed to be corrected. You can't run to somebody else every time you need to check things out, so this is a critical step for sure. I can run a call well, but there was alot of things I couldn't do that were causing me trouble. Take the time to learn to properly run a comp call before you tackle one!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....