Author Topic: Checkering sets?  (Read 5243 times)

Offline Luckydawg

• Custom Call Maker
Checkering sets?
« on: September 10, 2014, 03:46:41 PM »
I think I have read where gunline has a good set of checkering tools. Is the camp perry set sufficient for a beginner?

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: Checkering sets?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »
You don't really need a full set of handles, do a little reading, and save yourself some money.  The number of little cutters is what you need to be concerned about. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Luckydawg

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »
I assume you are referring to lpi? I am thinking 16. I know I will need the tool to start first lines, then the tool to cut parallel lines, and tool(s) to deepen grooves. What else?

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 06:45:51 PM »

Let me put some notes together on tools and which cutters to get. Don't get a set as you won't use them all. It's best to piece together the tools individually.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:22 PM »
For those who havn't found it yet here is the link to Brians tutorial on checkering.
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,5968.0.html
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Wes

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 10:28:10 PM »

Let me put some notes together on tools and which cutters to get. Don't get a set as you won't use them all. It's best to piece together the tools individually.

Brian

Exactly, I only use about 4 different cutters, a single , a double , a double with one safe edge, and a single carbide cutter. You can't get the carbide cutters any more, but hopefully someone will start making them again. And you need a handle for each individual cutter you use, it is a pain in the rear to change out cutters back and forth as you are trying to work. And the best piece of advise you will ever get on checkering, "GO SLOW" . When you try to go fast you make mistakes , your cutter slips and you get over runs . Gunline's are excellent cutters to use, you can take a small triangle needle file and re sharpen them several times, the Dembart's are like little files and when they get dull you throw them away. That being said, I do like the Dembart double cutters , but that is the only ones I use from Dembart .

Wes
There is a fine line between hobby  and mental illness .

Offline Luckydawg

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »
Thanks Brian! I have read your tutorial awhile back and have kept my eye on ebay. Thanks in advance for your help. Am I corre t looking for 16 lpi files?

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »

Here are the tools that I recommend acquiring, when first starting out checkering.  You can always add to this list as you go, but this will get you started and introduced to checkering.

I use Gunline tools.  Dembart also makes tools, but I like Gunlines as I think they stay sharp a while longer.  I buy individual cutters and handles for them, as opposed to buying a set of tools.

Cutters:

PL-60F Pointer

PL-90F Pointer

S-2 Two Edge Spacer -you can get these in 16, 18, 20, & 22 lines per inch (lpi)
I recommend either 16 or 18 lpi when starting out

BV-W Border Vex

Get this handle for each one of the above cutters.  You don't want one handle and have to constantly change out the cutters on it.
H1 Handle

For tight spaces, this little cutter comes in handy
60 PS Pointer Short

And this handle fits the shorty cutter
H3 Handle

These little finger tabs really help out.  I have one installed on each of my checkering handles.  They are made by Dembart.

And you will need this tool, to help install the roll pins that attach the cutter to the handle

MidwayUSA used to carry these tools, but they no longer do.  You can get these tools through Brownells, or through Gunline directly.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline FDR

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »
What about a "V" tool Brian?  Something small like 2mm?
Fred Roe

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »

Fred, the list above will be what I would call the "basic" set of tools a person would need to get started. There's all sorts of tools that can be added to that list, as well as home made tools, modified tools, etc.

Just like call making, you will always "want" another checkering tool to add to the list. I'm up to 26 different tools that I use when I checker. Some of them aren't used extensively throughout the whole call, but they get used when needed for certain specific tasks. The list of tools above can be used to complete a checkered call without any use of other tools. The extra tools help when doing fancier stuff like raised panels, French pattern checkering, etc.

Brian

Offline FDR

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:18:35 AM »
Thanks Brian. I asked because I am going to have to scratch the checkering bug bite one of these days.  Got most of my tools ready.

Fred
Fred Roe