Author Topic: Box Call Made with 4 axis CNC  (Read 13272 times)

Offline Gary Campbell

• New Forum Member
Box Call Made with 4 axis CNC
« on: September 06, 2014, 09:09:11 PM »
Guys...
I had an email question about cutting box calls and since I don't know the first thing about any type of call making, I found a very clear tutorial post on this forum by Waylon from JWT Custom Game Calls.   http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,13260.0.html  I used his methods and results as a template to make an example of what kind of machining can be done in wood with a 4th axis CNC. 

Understand that I didn't pay any attention to grain, species or many of the items that would be important to a quality call maker, I was simply looking to see what kind of time frame and what quality of product could be produced.  After watching the video, I see a good number of changes I would want to make if someone was going to put a part like this into production.

Either way, here is my example, and I will be happy to answer any questions and accept and criticisms that you may have.  I don't intend that this method is a replacement to hand fabrication or tuning, but for some, it could be a way to meet a larger production deadline by machining rough blanks while a craftsman does the final fit, finish and tuning.  With a bit of tweaking one could produce 3 -4 similar pieces per hour.

Sorry about the length of the video, but I have done similar in the past with time edits or fast motion and the naysayers seem never to believe my given times.  So, turn your volume down, fast forward as you see fit, and enjoy.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:45:02 PM by Gary Campbell »
Gary Campbell
Custom CNC builder
GCnC411@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/user/Islaww1

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Box Call Made with 4 axis CNC
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »
I think that's pretty cool!! Have you tried making the paddle for it yet? Could you make a pot call with this? I wouldn't think a pot call would be to hard if you can make a box call with it.....   
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 10:46:11 PM »
You will find your side walls need to be much, much thinner than this for the call to be operational.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Gary Campbell

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 11:01:31 PM »
David...
No, I haven't tried the paddle, but it doesn't appear to be that hard, assuming the radius is known.  Sorry, this is my 1st and only attempt, I don't even know what a pot call is.

Vector Calls...
I was following the direction on the tutorial, which if I remember correctly was 3/16-1/4".  These are .170", about a 64th under 3/16.  Depending on the wood species and actual grain of the blank, the sides could be machined to under .100".  Less if the VBit work was shallower.
Gary Campbell
Custom CNC builder
GCnC411@gmail.com

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:56:24 PM »

Pretty awesome stuff there Gary. The video does prove that a box call can be done with a CNC machine. There's a lot of refinement to that particular design that will need to be made to get a good sounding call, but I believe those adjustments can be made and the machine can make them. Are you writing all of your G code, or are you designing something in cad and having a cam software convert it to G code?

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 01:32:17 AM »
Excellent start with a great intro with CNC.  I suspect it won't be many years before the CNC takes the place of a lot of handwork in the custom call world. 

Any suggestions on equipment and books for the beginners?  Basic books that would be a good start to get ideas on what is possible with the basics of entry level CNC systems.  Do you have a list of basic entry level systems that you might suggest a beginner could look at? 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Gary Campbell

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:15:36 AM »
Brian...
Thanks.  This was intended to be more a "proof of concept" than a viable part.  For sure a machine can make whatever changes are necessary, and then be repeatable.  I used VCarve Pro for both the CAD to make the design and CAM to produce the produce the gcode.  Its a Vectric product that costs $600.  They have titles from $150 to $2500 with varying features.

With a few exceptions, the need to hand code or even know gcode commands has virtually vanished over the last few years, at least in the smaller CNC market.  For example, my SideWinder machine uses a touchscreen, has no mouse, and I could eliminate the keyboard if I would just stop "tinkering" with the files.  I use a custom  "WinCNC Touch" screenset I built for the machine.

Marvin...
I am not sure how the statement applies to callmakers, but it has become obvious in the woodworking and cabinet shop business that "In the next decade, you will either use CNC in your business or you will compete against those who do".

There are few books and I do not have any to recommend.  There are numerous forums, some branded, some not, where the questions on the craft and newbie questions are fielded regularly and well.  My day job is with a CNC mfgr. and I would prefer to not mention any brands, but will tell you that there are dozens of companies that make an entry level product with varying features and operating systems.  I would ask that as an American manufacturer, you would support other American mfgr's and buy American.
Gary Campbell
Custom CNC builder
GCnC411@gmail.com

Offline Waylon at JWT Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 07:02:59 PM »
That's pretty cool. Defiantly a time saver.  18 min compared to about 4 hrs by hand is a lot of time saved. Pretty impressive.
JWT Custom Calls THO Member Gallery
Facebook-JWT Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:33:02 PM »
Once a few step over the threshold and set up for CNC, the some of the others will soon be following.  Some will be restricted by their finances, others won't because of having to learn new methods, finally some will always be "purists".   

How to find the equipment?  Any suggestions on where to look? 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 12:21:31 AM »
Certianly a very interesting post. I'd like to know more about it aswell

Offline Gary Campbell

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:47:02 AM »
Guys....
CNC is a very interesting and rewarding craft.  It is not without a learning curve, which may be why it is rewarding.  My day job is for a CNC company, so in the spirit of fairness I prefer not to recommend brands, nor compare one brand against another. 

What you can do is look for CNC router companies with a Google search.  There are a good number of US companies that together put out a few thousand units a year.  FYI, there are well over 50,000 branded CNC machines working in US shops and garages.  There may be one closer to you than you might guess.  I would guess that there might be nearly that many home built units also.  Many, in fact most, of these companies have a user forum that allows assistance and direction that is very similar to this forum.

With a few caveats, most any entry level 3 axis CNC router table with a 4th axis option can accomplish what I have shown in that video.  My SideWinder build is a higher end, more commercial product that has the duty cycle and cycle times of a commercial user or advanced hobbyist in mind.

Please keep in mind that in todays global CNC marketplace, competition is very level.  In other words, if you pay less, you must expect to get less.   All electro-mechanical components have spec or grade levels.  The good ones perform cooler, longer and at a higher level than the lesser priced versions.  They will also get the job done in a shorter time, important in a commercial situation.  Some are spec'd and priced for the hobbyist market, some for OEM.  Goodnews/Badnews is that you can get your feet wet for lesser dollars with an entry level machine, but depending on your expected production level, you may outgrow it sooner.

If you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer them to the best of my ability.

Gary Campbell
Custom CNC builder
GCnC411@gmail.com

Offline Gary Campbell

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
Guys...
An update to this thread. Due to the length and bad sound, I have made a faster speed version of this Box Call video and removed the cutting sound. These box calls are sound chambers that amplify any bit noise during cutting.

You might get to the end of this version:

GC
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 10:49:31 AM by Gary Campbell »
Gary Campbell
Custom CNC builder
GCnC411@gmail.com

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
I'm impressed. Thanks.

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

birddog1

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
I have a cnc just have to learn how to set up and use it
 :innocent: :wacko: