The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > CnC Discussion Area

Box Call Made with 4 axis CNC

(1/3) > >>

Gary Campbell:
Guys...
I had an email question about cutting box calls and since I don't know the first thing about any type of call making, I found a very clear tutorial post on this forum by Waylon from JWT Custom Game Calls.   http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,13260.0.html  I used his methods and results as a template to make an example of what kind of machining can be done in wood with a 4th axis CNC. 

Understand that I didn't pay any attention to grain, species or many of the items that would be important to a quality call maker, I was simply looking to see what kind of time frame and what quality of product could be produced.  After watching the video, I see a good number of changes I would want to make if someone was going to put a part like this into production.

Either way, here is my example, and I will be happy to answer any questions and accept and criticisms that you may have.  I don't intend that this method is a replacement to hand fabrication or tuning, but for some, it could be a way to meet a larger production deadline by machining rough blanks while a craftsman does the final fit, finish and tuning.  With a bit of tweaking one could produce 3 -4 similar pieces per hour.

Sorry about the length of the video, but I have done similar in the past with time edits or fast motion and the naysayers seem never to believe my given times.  So, turn your volume down, fast forward as you see fit, and enjoy.

David @ Mad Duck Game Calls:
I think that's pretty cool!! Have you tried making the paddle for it yet? Could you make a pot call with this? I wouldn't think a pot call would be to hard if you can make a box call with it.....   

VECtor Calls:
You will find your side walls need to be much, much thinner than this for the call to be operational.

Gary Campbell:
David...
No, I haven't tried the paddle, but it doesn't appear to be that hard, assuming the radius is known.  Sorry, this is my 1st and only attempt, I don't even know what a pot call is.

Vector Calls...
I was following the direction on the tutorial, which if I remember correctly was 3/16-1/4".  These are .170", about a 64th under 3/16.  Depending on the wood species and actual grain of the blank, the sides could be machined to under .100".  Less if the VBit work was shallower.

BigB:

Pretty awesome stuff there Gary. The video does prove that a box call can be done with a CNC machine. There's a lot of refinement to that particular design that will need to be made to get a good sounding call, but I believe those adjustments can be made and the machine can make them. Are you writing all of your G code, or are you designing something in cad and having a cam software convert it to G code?

Brian

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version