Author Topic: Sending Calls to Italy  (Read 3466 times)

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
Sending Calls to Italy
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:13:19 PM »
I just recently had an inquiry for a couple calls from a gentleman in Italy. I am wondering if some of you guys that have sent calls to Europe could clue me in on what I am looking at for shipping charges. I don't have a clue and while I could go to the Post Office I won't be able to get there this week and I would like to give him an idea of total cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Kevin

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
Re: Sending Calls to Italy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 09:19:40 PM »
You might want to look into a private carrier service.  Much of the worlds mail is not as good as our post office.  I'm not sure about Italy but worth looking into.  Also you may want to check the species of woods.  Some countries have restrictions on importation of certain wood or product made from that wood. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:02 PM »
Thank you Rick I'll check into this
Kevin

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:53:04 PM »
About $23.00 priority mail small flat rate box and the most restrictive place that I know of is Australia. Most places are OK as long as it is finished wood and solid with no bug holes or fungas. I have shipped a pincushion to Australia without any problem but do check to make sure. If you Google shipping to Italy for wood products you will find what there customs do and make sure you tell them you are not responsible for custom fees as there is no way to know until it gets there if there is any, some countries charge for over a dollar amount for import fees.
Wane

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:03:57 AM »
Having done international shipping in the past my only advice is becareful. There are few places outside of the US that are worth the trouble. I lost calls going to Africa, Mexico, and Russia. Had problems with customs in Quebec. Some spiecies of woods are not allowed to be shipped outside the US. I have had good luck with sending stuff to other parts of Canada, Finland, and England. But the hassle is not worth the end product so I will ship only to Canada but the customer is totally on their own. Taxes and fees and if it never shows up oh well. I use the US post office. UPS to Canada works really well but is expensive.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 08:15:15 AM »
Thanks guys I really appreciate the advise and direction. I'll look into it thoroughly.
Kevin

Offline Andrew of HaddenHailers

• New Forum Member
    • HaddenHailers Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:31:28 AM »
I've sent calls to Canada, Hong Kong, and England with no problems through USPS Kevin.  Although I will say I've been doing quite a few to Canada, and my most recent is still having trouble being delivered two weeks later.  Hoping for today.

Andrew

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 07:36:03 PM »
Thanks Andrew I think I'm gonna give it a shot after I clear up if the wood is importable
Kevin

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 01:46:59 AM »
I shipped two whistles to a guy in Italy a couple months back.  It was $24 and change in a small USPS priority mail flat rate box. 

I've never had trouble with an international shipment using USPS.

• New Forum Member
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 10:34:52 AM »
Thank you Aaron sounds like USPS is the best way to ship them. Thanks again.
Kevin

Offline Andrew of HaddenHailers

• New Forum Member
    • HaddenHailers Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »
Thanks Andrew I think I'm gonna give it a shot after I clear up if the wood is importable

The call made it to my customer yesterday bub.  Didn't want to put my foot in mouth and say I haven't had any problems until that one got there lol

Andrew

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »
I suppose I should have clarified.  My wife's clients are all international.  She has to mail documents around the world in a daily basis.  She has issues with other countries postal services often. 

I have mailed calls to Canada and England with no issues.  One to Norway that I have no confirmation on.  I've emailed the customer but he never responded.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 12:18:24 AM »
I have shipped stuff all over the world, every once in  awhile something will happen.  I only use USPS, but you lose all tracking when it gets the country you are sending it to.  You have to trust the buyer and their postal system, some are as crooked as a dogs hind leg.  Of all the ones I have sent I can remember a few that never made it to the buyer, I just send another, and with one exception they all made it the second time.  On the one that didn't, we were pretty sure it was his post office where it was disappearing so we worked around that office and sent it to his brother, it was "third time was charm".  I had dealt with him several times before, so I trusted him. 

There are some buyers that can be scams, it is up to you to find them on your own, gut feelings are about all that you can rely on.  A few emails are all you will have to make that determination.  You will be out postage, time and supplies, not a great amount of money, more of a disgusting feeling that someone took advantage of you will hurt more than the money loss.  The other option is no international orders.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.