Author Topic: Tool Sharpening Service  (Read 6036 times)

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
Tool Sharpening Service
« on: August 26, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
FYI.   Just got some tools back from "Bogg Tools" and they did a great job.  Good service and fast turnaround.  They also sharpen files at a very reasonable price!  Here is the link:

http://boggstool.com/

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• THO Recommended Advertiser
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: Tool Sharpening Service
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
Thanks for the link!
Having files sharpened may be a better alternative than buying more new ones!
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »

Thanks for sharing the link Fred. I can't find their prices? Any idea what things cost?  I've got some big drill bits, reamers and files I can send em if I had an idea of what it will cost.

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline FDR

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »

Thanks for sharing the link Fred. I can't find their prices? Any idea what things cost?  I've got some big drill bits, reamers and files I can send em if I had an idea of what it will cost.

Brian
Don't know about the drill sharpening Brian. I could not find their price list fordrills either.  The other items have a price list at the bottom.  It has to be reasonable. They completely rebuilt a 6 flute 1 inch milling cutter for $12.50 and the file was $2.40 and both looked new when returned.  Contact them for the drill prices.

Fred
Fred Roe

Offline Henry H

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 08:37:06 PM »
Fred, did you by any chance have them sharpen a reamer?  Mine seems to be getting harder to hand turn, so think it may be dulling and wondering if they can be sharpened well.

Offline FDR

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
Fred, did you by any chance have them sharpen a reamer?  Mine seems to be getting harder to hand turn, so think it may be dulling and wondering if they can be sharpened well.

No reamer in my sharpening order but I expect they can sharpen one.  They seem to sharpen about anything and did a wonderful job for me on several milling cutters.
Fred Roe

Offline stumpjumper

• Custom Call Maker
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:34:20 AM »
Well, after reading this thread and talking to one of the owners I sent 22 files from 6" to 12" in length as well as 4 brad bits.  All Nicholson files were worn slap out and wouldn't cut butter...well they are now the sharpest files I have ever seen!!!!!  And please note, my back ground is in industrial maintenance and machinist (spent a long time as a tool and die maker apprentice doing all hand work) so I know sharp quality tools.  Normally I get 8-10 inserts off my jig before I must get a new file so with these I will see the amount of inserts to new sharpening is.  BUT for the cost....hands down the best.  A 12" Nicholson flat bastard file will run you $8-10 anywhere all day long.  A re-sharpen on that file is $2.40.  Plus the new file out of the box aint even close to the sharpness from these guys.  Simply can`t say enough.  Another nice thing, most files you purchase aren't nice and flat, meaning they are cupped.  Lay a file down on a known flat machined surface (your lathe ways) and the file will have a frown or smile to it, flip it over and it`s reversed.  When these guys do their work< the start by surface grinding to get the file parallel.  End result is nice flat, clean sharp files.
Also, the brad bits.  I sent two 5/8`s and two 1/2`s bits.  One of the 5/8 and one of the 1/2 bits were brand new from the supplier but the 5/8 was so dull it wouldn't even drill into hedge and the the 1/2 center spur was not on center with the bits flutes so it was a no go.  I paid $30 min apiece for these bits.  The other 5/8 and 1/2 bits were well used and simply warn out.  I was charged $3.50 each to sharpen these brad bits, and the end result......bam baby.  Spurs are sharp and on center and the drills themselves cut like buuuutter.

Needless to say these guys have a new customer for a very long time.  I have 18 more files ready to be shipped to them today.
If you haven't thought about using these guys, think again gents.

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline B FERGUSON

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »
Do they sharpen turning tools? trying to find someone to sharpen my tools.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »
I am going to give these folks a holler on Monday and send them some drill bits.  I am also going to see about them cutting some raw carbide for me and sharpening it for an initial sharpen.

Thanks for the tip and reviews gents!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 07:23:21 PM »
Do they sharpen turning tools? trying to find someone to sharpen my tools.

No offense intended, but you should be sharpening your turning tools yourself, and doing it frequently.  I sharpen my tools just about every time I use them, and my work is better for it.  Turning with dull or improperly sharpened tools is inefficient, ineffective and frustrating.  Each and every time we have the turnathon or I have a rookie call maker over to my shop, I go over sharpening.  Inevitably, you see them light up with excitement when they see how easy it is and what a huge difference it makes on their turning. 

If you're not able to sharpen your lathe tools and wish to learn to do so, I'm more than happy to help in any way I can. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »
Bump for others who may want to contact them in the 'off season'.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Chris Womack

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 01:54:34 PM »
For drills go to the page for end mills and scroll down.

Looks like $4 for 1/2" - 3/4" and $5 up to 1"