Author Topic: Drying partically air-dried wood stock prior to chamber  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
  • whistling wings stir the soul
    • www.quackycalls.com
Drying partically air-dried wood stock prior to chamber
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:32:41 AM »
Anyone have any experience in drying partially air-dried stock in their shop ovens prior to placing them in the chamber?  Wondering if select species crack more readily than others when exposed to a 200 degree dry temp, if they are not air-dried thoroughly?  I know that having them air dried or properly equilibrated prior to, is optimal, but I have a situation on hand.   :taz: 
quackycalls.com
   custom duck and turkey calls

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
Re: Drying partically air-dried wood stock prior to chamber
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »
I've dried many burl blanks @ 225 and experienced minimal cracking, some very green. Two hours typically gets partially dried (14-20%) blanks down around 4-6%, I test frequently after that point. Some species require more time, some require less. Get yourself a moisture meter if you don't already have one, it really helps.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:42:06 PM »
Joe, thank you...its been a few days I know.  I apologize, I've been super busy and for some reason this forum is the only forum that will not send email notifications to my email address regarding posts when several others that I am a member of do.  Its been reported to Al but we do not know how to repair the issue. 

Anyway.  Thank you so much.  That's all?  --> 2 hours to reach 4-6% mc, wow.  I thought I would have to dry it at least 24.  Have you ever played around with the lower temp of 200 F? or no?

Chris
quackycalls.com

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 01:13:55 AM »
Never worked it under 225. My reasoning may be flawed, but hitting just over 212 (boiling point of water) ought to help release moisture as steam.
I also had the email issue, no idea what caused it but I switched my email in my profile to a different one and it remedied the problem.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Truefire

• New Forum Member
    • www.quackycalls.com
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 10:03:02 PM »
Oh ok, cool Joe.  Thanks so much.  Maybe in the upcoming weeks I'll get a chance to stabilize a few. Thank you.
quackycalls.com

Offline M. Wells

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
I have a question on this point an case, not sure if I am understanding an the reason I am asking is that I am ordering a stabilizer (vacuum an pot) this week. I can take a piece of green wood I have just cut an put in oven at 200 for a few hours an  keep check with my meter to get the dryness I need to stabilize an turn am I following right? I am new at this as far as stabilizing. Don't want to send it off to be dried if I can do it myself.
Thanks
Making Game Calls is a spiritual thing !!

Offline Ryan@roosagamecalls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »
I know its hard but you have to be patient. I've tried oven drying green wood with little success the best thing I've found is cut everything as small as possible . like usable blanks . then I seal the ends in wax . then stack them or wrap them in a paper bag and lable it . and forget about it for a few months then get it out and put it in the oven for about three hours after that time shut off the oven and after fifteen min take out and stabilize or put in airtight Tupperware till stanilizing

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »
My advice is to start stockpiling wood now for use in a year of 2 down the road.  When you start trying to speed up the drying process you will create a few headaches, it can be done but you need to know what works best.  Some woods are more finicky than others, and drying times from one area to another varies based on humidity and temperatures.  I can take a fresh cut piece of 1.5x1.5 wood in April, and it will be ready to turn in September.  The rule tells me I have to wait 1 1/2 years.  But with temps over 100, very low humidity and wind blowing all of the time, the moisture is sucked out of the wood.  I also have to seal more than just the ends or it will crack on me.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2014, 11:54:55 PM »
Here is a good article about drying wood.  http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/drying-wood-at-home/

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.