Author Topic: Some More Help  (Read 10614 times)

AS@Smith Crafters

Re: Some More Help
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »
Well the ID of my cuurent calls is 3/4 and the exhaust isn't very thick as it is. Only 1/4 in fact. So I didn't want to make it to much thinner.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2014, 11:12:23 PM »
Ok I tried the Watco Teak oil. Here is what I got with some experimenting. Tried some different amounts of the finish. Heavy coats are what I am going with. I also tried wet sanding for the first time, and unless I'm just no good at it, there is a tiny amount of difference that isn't worth it. I have dry sanded from day one with the pens I turn... that was three years ago, so I guess I have gotten good at dry sanding... but here are some pics.
This is before sanding

This is after sanding

All where anded to about the same smoothness. Here is the heavy coat. 1st coat.

Here is the light coat.

Here is the wet sanded heavy coat. I forgot to take a picture of it sanded. But I got the next wet sanded one.

Here is the wet sanding.

And here is the wet sanded light coat
these were all the first coats.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »
Here is the second coat

Here is the third, I think for 2hat I want with the heavy coat, last coat.

And those little cross cuts in the background are what are I use for these, those will become the exhausts if I decided to finish these calls all the way. I think they were more just test blocks though lol. Im gunna let these sit ofr a few days and then use the finish I have been on top of this, to give a nice high glossy look. I know it won't stay that way, but at least it will stay looking "good".

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
Doesn't look to bad.  An oil finish can raise the grain of some woods.  What grit are you sanding down to?  Those look better around the ends than your previous ones, I think.  (But I am looking at the pictures on a phone not a full size screen)

A gutsert is used to keep the exhaust from splitting.  The I.D. (inside diameter) should be whatever your guts are designed to fit in.  Most guts that you can purchase are either .625 or .619. 
The narrow, stepped down , part of the gutsert allows is to provide gliding surface inside the exhaust.
The O.D. (outside) should fit into whatever size hole you put in your barrel.  With enough room for an o-ring seal. 
Here's a couple acrylic ones.  Don't mind the wood glued to the one on the right.  I wasn't happy with the exhaust so I turned the wood off to reclaim it :)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:47:45 PM by Jon @ JRwoods »
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 05:36:35 PM »
Ok you are confusing me. The barrel is the end u blow in. The exhaust is the end that u don't.  Right? Exhaust comes out so the exhaust is the end that u do NOT blow in... right?

bcalls

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 10:42:16 PM »
Ok you are confusing me. The barrel is the end u blow in. The exhaust is the end that u don't.  Right? Exhaust comes out so the exhaust is the end that u do NOT blow in... right?
You got it. Gutsert is installed in the exhaust side and guts are installed in the gutsert.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 11:27:18 PM »
Ok so my idea was instead of putting the gutsert into both the exhaust and barrel, I was just going to put it in the barrel, so that the barrel would not split when I shove in the exhaust.  I put my guts into the exhaust like so

And with the way I am doing it, I have to band all my calls so that the barrel will not crack if you push the exhaust in too hard. Now to counter HAVING to band, I can instead use a 1 in long or so piece of aluminum on the inside, instead of the outside. :tt2:  right?  If it has the same id as my barrel, I just drill 1 into the barrel with the OD so I can glje in my own gutsert. Or does this now make it not a gutsert lol? But does anybody think this work? Has anybody tried it?

bcalls

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2014, 06:11:08 AM »
Not really a gutsert but more of and internal band or a barrel sleeve I guess you would call it. Some people do it that way. Hey now I see where you get the 3/4". Check out shell creek calls site. Look at his call parts, he did carry something like that but I believe for goose calls.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »
Ok, well I just wanted to know if anyone else had tried it before. I hate to be the guy that says "I'm not going to buy anything" but um... yeh I am not going to buy anything. I can buy wood and pipe, but I'm not going to buy an already finished product, I am trying to become 100% my own calls, well not become, but stay that way. I buy a dowell, a sheet of mylar, and a piece of wood. Building materials that I build with. I don't want to buy something that makes it easier on me to the extent of it being a "kit" I know it isn't a kit, but I want to be 100% self made.

bcalls

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 02:40:20 PM »
Shell creek was for idea not to buy.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
Get a piece of Delrin, not cheap, but it works and you can turn it with a wood lathe.  For 1/2" toneboard, I would go with 3/4", drill all the way through with 1/2" bit, cut 2 grooves for O rings on one end, glue groves on the other.   You will have to change your exhaust end and step drill it part way for the gutsert to seat in it.  Your barrel, mouth piece should remain the same. 

I would recommend testing this using scrap wood when you get started, it will save you some money.  Turn a 1.75" long piece to 3/4" diameter and test run it a few times and then using it as a model for your final set up.  There are no rules on how to make a gutsert, design it to fit your set up with what you have.  You do not have to glue it in the exhaust end, you can use O rings.  You have been good at thinking outside of the box, this should be easy for you.

There is some schedule 80 PVC pipe that can be used, but I can not remember the size I used, you can turn it on the wood lathe.  Gray in color, it has thick enough walls for O ring grooves, but is not readily available everywhere.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 11:27:22 PM »
I need a bit more momey, but when I get it I am going to finally buy a 4 jaw chuck, and some pvc. I will make my own gutserts out of a solid 7/8 tube of pvc.

Now for the fun stuff. I used some Teak Oil. And after that I finished over the top of it with my regular finish. This is my result. :)

And then on to the stuff that makes this day suck. My 1/2 woodmaster game call mandrel snapped. Idk how but it pisses me off. I missed calling them by 4 frican minutes too! Hopefully tomorrow I can it replaced, and habe a new one on the way for free. I hope what ever warranty came with it will cover this.