Author Topic: Some More Help  (Read 10620 times)

AS@Smith Crafters

Re: Some More Help
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 01:16:03 AM »
Ok I get it. I'll look back at old posts, somebody said to do this "read every thread"... got a big book I need to finish now I guess... hear comes the long part. I'll post later once I've read enough to come up with some good questions.

Now onto the part about saying I was 17. I wasn'ttrying come off as you owe me anything. I was honestly trying to get a little pitty. Not spoon fed, but not eaten up in critical debate about whether I'm good enough, or how bad I am. I wanted a little bit of a "dip my toe in the water" not get pushed the hell in for a sinck or swim fight with the sharks. So I will try and learn now. Thanks for the tips.

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30:18 AM »
As young as you are you have an advantage over most of us in that your age is low. I wish I would have started young like that but keep in mind you may not be interested in making calls 3 yrs from
now. Hopefully you do stick with it and use this fourm to your advantage and become the best you can be at it. There are some EXTREMLY talented guys on here that have helped me to get to where I'm at and honestly couldn't have done it without this site. If your a fast learner and have time to spend reading as much as you can you'll do EXTREMLY well.

Offline Jon @ JRwoods

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »
The best part about being 17 isthe girl you marry someday will know about your call making problem before you tie the knot.   (Scary ain't it!)

I let a few calls go when i first started, mainly people that wanted/asked to buy them.  I can say from experience, you will wish you had them back. 
Do you have a circle of duck hunting friends that you trust?
  Tune a box of calls and ask them to use them this coming season.  Make a list of questions to ask at the end of the season, mid season, whatever, just ask them to use your call for some hunts and give you some in the field feedback.
How durable was the finish?  Any cracks/splits?  (I had a great sounding toneboard that completely changed tune after calling with it for more than 10 min in the cold)
At the end of the season ask them what they think the price on a shelf should be for your call.

Know anyone that can really make a stage call sing?  Send them one ask if it locks up, squeaks, of gets to loose. 
Feedback from others is what you need if you want to sell your calls.   You can tune your calls to what "most" people want.   
Formerly Highlooker.
"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native criminal class except congress."~Mark Twain

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 01:44:41 PM »
I di want to give too many of them away, but looks like I am going to have too... anybody know someone that likes to test calls for custom call makers, that won't charge me, or at least won't charge me much. I need a really good caller to tell me what they think, and what needs to be done, because I'm not sure yet.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 02:06:41 PM »
If you want to know how they really sound and compare to other calls, then send one to Reelfoot in October for the call makers contest. I am headed to the show, and will enter the call for you if you'd like.  And I'll mail it back to you after the show.

There's a seminar this year as part of the show, where there is going to be a panel of experienced call makers available to look at calls for folks needing some help. I can bring it by this folks and have them take a look at it. And I will type up what they said about it and send it back to you when I mail the call back.

It's only $10 to enter the contest, plus a little bit of shipping both ways. Pretty cheap for the value you can get from sending it there.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 02:48:41 PM »
BigB has a great offer for you!
But also, there are lots of people on here that would be happy to blow your call(s) and give you feed back.  Most (if not all) would do it for free provided you sent along return postage, including myself.

When I send out calls to people for test runs, I send out money for return shipping, or I send a self addressed postage paid box to return the call in.  That way all they have to do is plop it in the box, tape it up and put it in the mail box.  I figure they are nice enough to test run for me, the least I can do is make it as easy as I can for them to send it back.

One thing to keep in mind...  your idea of a good caller, and someone elses might be quite different, or the things you expect a call to do vs them...  so be aware of that.  It can really affect how you interpret the critique you get from whomever it is that does it for you as well as what emphasis they might have in the critique.  A good example is, I personally feel a call that is supposed to be "general purpose" and sort of cover everything, HAS to be able to ring.  But thats me, and my general purpose includes some river bottom hunting where sometimes you have to ring a hail at em to even get em to come look.  Others say "ducks dont ring, so a call shouldnt either".  Lots of preference out there, so just be aware of that.

Keep up the hard work!  It pays off in the end... no matter how far away the "end" might seem to be. :D
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 03:05:34 PM »
good advice so far.  If you'll include return postage as Wade stated, I'd be happy to help you out free of charge.  However, I won't sugar coat anything.  I'll critique everything if you wish, from sound to fit and finish. 

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2014, 04:13:09 PM »
I would be happy to and I will send it back to you.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
When I send calls for testing.... I let them keep it.  I have the notes.  I can make another.  I have had one come back with some alterations for guidance. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2014, 09:21:12 PM »
I don't quit until my calls get that "ring". Or possible I don't get it, I have never compared to your "ring". I like to be sure that they get that "want want, waaaaaaaant" lol and there it really spikes. I need to get some sound files up soon.

bcalls

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 09:57:32 PM »
I will add this. At 17 at least you are doing something more productive than staying on a play station. Keep at it remain humble, take the critiques as learning. Remember some friends will lie to you. They will tell you it sounds good so not to hurt feelings and that doesn't help. Ask for good honest feed back from a call maker or someone that can run a call good.

Brad

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 10:15:51 PM »
As I have said before, Brian(BigB) has done that for me a couple of times. I sent him a carved call to critique once. I always make sure to send enough money to cover at least the call entry and return shipping. What really made me appreciate him more was in the carved call contest, he and another judge not only went over the call as only really great carvers can do, but itemized what was wrong with it in their opinion. Opinions of two of the best carvers in the country. That alone was priceless. My wife who is the primary carver in the family, said that kind of influential scrutiny made her nervous, but compared to the list of the first call Brian did, she is confident she will do better next time. These guys have been doing this a long time and are the BEST at what they do. From contest call makers to show calls to just calls, they cant be beat. At 17 you dont want pity, you want honesty. If they pity you, you will never know if you are good or to be pitied, or pitiful. Like they said, I wish I had known what they know and are willing to share, free, at your age. The old carvers like Dud Faulk, Chick Majors, Mike Mclemore, etc. were really good with what they  did and passed it on to the next gen. I competed against a guy with a taped together ugly old call that sounded just great. It was an early Butch Richenbach call that he got from Butch. And he said Butch showed him how to use it. There are guys on the forum that are every bit as good as Butch or the guys at RNT or Echo These guys on here have on the tutorial pages more than is in the call makers books. And I guess I own them all. More because they back it up with a Q&A session. If you are as smart and intelligent as you seem, you will do what was suggested and read, read, read and listen to what they tell you when you ask. Just their advice is worth  alot of money, and its all free.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »
Ok so another question.  Has anybody on here made their own gutserts yet? I would like to buy an aluminum pipe with a 3/4 id, and I don't really care about the od. If anyone hase made there own like this, please share how it went. Then also where you got it. Thank you.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 10:44:41 AM »
I think I'm going to pass on the offer about the reelfoot contest. I know that half way through the tear I'm gun a wish I didn't turn it down, but I don't think I would know what to do with all the info. I can garantee I would have a lot of information to take in. Let me learn some more first, then maybe next year I ca. Show up, or send in a call. I haven't been making calls for more than 2 months yet, so I need so e more know how myself.

bcalls

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »
Ok so another question.  Has anybody on here made their own gutserts yet? I would like to buy an aluminum pipe with a 3/4 id, and I don't really care about the od. If anyone hase made there own like this, please share how it went. Then also where you got it. Thank you.

Why so big on the id? Most goose guts are 5/8" or .619. I have made a few but used solid aluminum and bored the id