Author Topic: The way I make LA style calls.  (Read 5457 times)

Offline AS@Smith Crafters

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Smith Crafters
The way I make LA style calls.
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:37:51 PM »
I have done this several different ways, and this is the way I keep doing it. This is my "perfected" way. I bought a woodmaster game call mandrel from crafts supplies. That is actually where I get most of my tools and material. I have a 3/8 and a 1/2 inch mandrel. They say that is supposed to be used in a collet chuck, but I use a drill chuck. I cut the barrel at 3 inches (about some longer, some shorter) then the exhaust at 2 inches (same as barrel some short, and some long). The barrel is drilled with the 3/8 and the exhaust with 1/2. I turn them down to the desired shape, and the end of the exhaust has a taper at the end almost 1/2 an in h lo g that is 3/8 so it fits in the barrel snug. I have begun to band all of the barrels so they don't crack. I honestly don't know the id of the band. I bought an aluminum pipe, and each time I set my calipers on it, then turn the end down. I cut them all different lengths, and there is literally nothing about any of my calls That is exactly the same. The process is similar, but the actual result is always slightly off, and I never try to be the same. I have a wooden jig that I made for the tone boards. Use a 1/2 dowel, and I cut it at 2 1/4 inches. Then drill it with a 7/32 drill bit 2 inches deep. Then I cut my reed. Thickness is 0.0135in or 0.27mm. I mean there isn't much more too it than that. Just the stuff you all know already. The pics are coming.
Art is in the eye of the beholder. My eyes are great.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: The way I make LA style calls.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
The pictures and a detailed writeup of each step will make a nice tutorial of your process.  Show us more!

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 02:54:55 AM »
The pictures and a detailed writeup of each step will make a nice tutorial of your process.  Show us more!

Fred

I am also looking forward to seeing the pictures, I can follow your process, but I know that most of the others would love to see the pics.  A pic is worth a 1000 words.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline RVivian

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 08:57:22 AM »
Yes, even if you don't do a tutorial, at least show some pictures please. :gitrdone:

Ray
RAY

Central Texas

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Smith Crafters
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
These pics would be the tone board jig my dad helped me make. Its just a 2x4. We were going to leave a spot over the back, like an Arkansas style call jig, but it didn't work, it broke off when we drilled the second hole. Those holes were going to be for bolts, to hold the top down, but whatever.
The other 2 pics are the jig I  action. Icut a piece out of a 1/2 oak dowell that is 2 1/2 inches long. I drill it with a 7/32 bit, 2 1/4 inches deep.then I place it in the jig and cut it by hand, because I don't have a band saw yet... I should be picking up my band saw tomorrow tho!!! I use a C clamp to hold down the dowel and cut it, then file it. I cut one half, then put the c clamp to the other side and cut the other half. Then when filing a do the same. After its filed down I do a bit of hand sanding to dinish it up.

Nonr of these pics are posting through my tablet. I keep getting an error message. Let me hop on the laptop.

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:36:17 PM »
Sounds like you're trying to post the pics directly into the forum.  Can't do that.  Have to upload pics to Photo Bucket (or a similar site) and then paste in the img link to the forum.

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Smith Crafters
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 03:44:21 PM »
Ok... laptop wont turn on... so here is a link to a google drive folder with the pics in it. https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0BwWKF166aemkdFJ6QkdNTGc2OXM/edit
So go there to see the pics. Its kind of hard to make sense of them, since there is no order. Any questions, let me know.

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 06:59:31 PM »
Here you go.  I left out a couple of the finished call body etc. but this gets the info needed available to help others try to do the same.

You are an amazing young man, you have been able to do on your own what a lot of people cannot do with help.   Thanks for making my day. 

Marvin

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Smith Crafters
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 01:19:04 AM »
Thank you, but I need to learn alot more before I talk to much. My BS has over ran my jay bird ass. So I'm gunna hit the books... or forum for a while and post this up again to see what changes.

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 02:08:11 AM »
Take notes while you are reading, either by hand or with copy and paste.  Also take notes while you are working on your calls, if you change the reed, make a note of what you did and what happened.  If you get busy with other priorities and are away form callmaking for awhile your notes will bring you up to speed faster than reading everything again.   In my opinion copy and paste is the best, along with a link to the source.  You will find that some answers contradict other answers, in some cases both will correct because of the law of callmaking that "Every thing effects everything else".  Then sometimes it is a case that the poster thought he/she was right, but wasn't totally correct. 

There is more than enough info on the callmaking forums that with a little time anyone can make a call that will call in ducks.  The info is out there, the more you absorb through reading the shorter the learning curve,  Every question you can think of has been answered more than once, and every question you haven't even dreamed about yet has also been asked and answered, you just have to research it and then take notes on how to solve that problem.   

Marvin

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Smith Crafters
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 05:47:15 PM »
I've been away for awhile. Been doin some work. I got a great new finish process I believe.  I'll post up the pics in a few!

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Smith Crafters
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 10:54:44 AM »
Ok. It has been awhile since I said much of anything on the forum. Been doing more and more work on the calls and so far nothing except experience and the finishing techniques have changed. I use the wood jig still with 2 and 1/2 " long 1/2" dowels. Just keep moving forward.