Author Topic: Questions!  (Read 2475 times)

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Questions!
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »
Ok guys, I have ZEE-ROW experience making predator calls. I ordered 2 open reed toneboards from Al and got them today.
I really don't know where to start, what size holes do I drill? What length do I make it? How do I put the toneboard into the call? Press fit or glue and press fit? Like I said I have no clue where to even start.... Any help would be appreciated! ~David
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Jack at Mud Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:36:33 PM »
David, this is how I do it, right or wrong, but it seems to work for me. I cut my blank around 3" and drill a hole through that matches the tone board (I think 1/2" but I'd have to measure to be sure). Then I drill that out to 5/8" about 2" deep and flare the end. I do not glue the tone board in mine, just a press fit and haven't had any problems.

Here's one out of eucalyptus burl with Al's tone board.
The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 06:57:46 PM »
Thanks Jack! I'll be making something with them once I get my mandrel fixed..  :thanks:
David

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 09:42:55 PM »
Other than bore size all dimensions are really up to you.  Are you trying to howl or distress call?  In my opinion they are 2 different calls.  I can eek out a howl on just about any open reed call but Would do much better with the appropriate call.... In my opinion.

Before you start turning barrels.... You might try messing with cutting some different reeds for the TB to see how that effects the sound.  For distress sounds you don't even need a barrel....  Kinda a unique feature of open reed calls. 

Your gonna have to do some homework before you start gluing....  Use a press fit until you find what works.  Use 3" to with a straight 1/2" bore and exhaust to start.  Then compare that to no barrel.  Go back and taper or step drill the exhaust of the barrel.  Compare that.  You will start to see where you need to go at that point. 

This should have been first.  If your not familiar with and proficient with running an open reed call than you need to spend some time learning to use one. 

Hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:45:11 PM by Rick Howard »
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 10:17:17 PM »
Yes that helped Rick, I need to start practicing using the dang things before I try to make 'em!! I really don't know what I want to do, I just want the thing to work. And I know that's not how call making works, I guess I'll start messing with them and get it to work right then I can start doing different bores and such... Thank you and I will probably be asking more questions!  :thanks:
David