The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Custom Deer Calls

All wood grunt call tutorial

(1/3) > >>

David @ Mad Duck Game Calls:
This is how I make my all wood grunt calls. This is by no means the best way, its just the easiest way for me. 
This one will be made from pecan, I started out with a piece about 8 inches long, it was a 12inch piece but I used part of it for something else...

I mark and cut a 3 inch piece for the barrel and a 4.5 inch piece for the exhaust... I also mark the ends so it will sort of match after its turned.

After that I put the barrel blank in my chuck to drill, I cut a small indention in the wood so the bit will be as centered as possible.

I drill a 3/4 hole all the way through, I have used different bores and this is what worked best for me.

After the barrel is drilled I put the exhaust blank into my chuck. I only took one picture of this for some reason.  :huh:
But basically I drill in with a 5/8 bit about 3.5 inches, then finish drilling with a 1/2 bit. Then I take my stepless bit and open the end of the exhaust up to 3/4.

After that I screw on my collet chuck and put the barrel on the mandrel, turn and sand however you like, I normally start at 220 grit but I have really sharp tools.. After each grit I stop the lathe and sand with the grain. I do that up to 600 grit and then go to 0000 steel wool then a wipe down with mineral spirits.
Once I have done that I put the exhaust blank on my 5/8 mandrel and true it up.

After it's trued up I use a 1/2 wide brass band to get the width of my tennon. I usually go a little wider then the band.

I then turn the tennon down to 3/4, cut the O-ring groove and make smaller groove to put thread and CA glue into.
Wrapping thread around your tennon and filling it with CA makes the tennon much, much stronger (I learned this from jcz! So thanks!)

And your basically done, just turn your exhaust to shape and sand..... I haven't finished this one yet, I ordered some velvet oil to try out, it'll be here later this week.. I'll post some pictures of it once the oil dries...

I noticed some lines on the exhaust in the picture... I went and looked at the call and they aren't sanding lines, maybe its just part of the wood?  :huh: Thanks for reading and I hope it helped someone out!!!!

James Strickland:
Nice tutorial, David!

jcz:
 :bigup:  I can not take credit for the thread wrapping idea. It is one of the many helpful tips I've picked up from THO.

davidpoisson:
You may not want to take credit for the bits and pieces of information that are in various posts here on THO, but you should take credit for putting them all in 1 post, as well as making a visual, step-by-step, tutorial. Kudos.

I read many of the posts you have read, and let me say I'm glad someone did a tutorial like you did. I will be making an all-wood grunter shortly for the upcoming deer season using these instructions.

I vote for a sticky!

David

David @ Mad Duck Game Calls:
Thanks David! If you have any questions that I didn't answer here just ask! And post pictures of the completed call!!  :beer:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version