Author Topic: New problem. Wobble on the mandrel  (Read 7528 times)

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
Re: New problem. Wobble on the mandrel
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 11:04:54 PM »
With only the chuck body on the spindle turn on the lathe, does the inside where the collet seats look like it is running true?  Set your banjo close and tape a pencil on pointed to the inside so it barely touches the inside of the chuck.  Hand turn the spindle doe sthe pencil keep in contact with the chuck body?

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:35 AM »
I talked to the toll company and it is made right.  The ring is supposed to be off center.  They however told me that I should be mounting the whole thing off of the lathe (mandrel excluded) and then screwing onto the lathe.  So collet goes into collar, collar onto chuck and chuck onto lathe.  I will try this the next time i can get to the lathe and let you know.

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 05:28:59 AM »

Alright the saga continues!!! I went back and put it together like the company told me to. I still have the wobble! I proceeded to put on a four jaw chuck with the mandrel and boom runs straight. So I know it isn’t the lathe. The only thing I can think of is that the chuck isn’t sitting on the head stock completely. In the picture you can see a gap. Is that right? The four jaw chuck site all the way back.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 08:58:19 AM »
I think ya got it.  I have this issue on my harbor freight lathe.  I cut some spacers from Lexan and it runs true now. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
Ok I got that it is supposed to sit back on the spindle but I can't get it back there.  I have a 4 jaw chuck and it go on with ease and sits all the way back and runs true.  I am guessing it is something in the threads of my chuck.  I can't see it and it has to be down buy the nose because it threads on so there is only a 1/4" of spacing between the end of the chuck and the back of the spindle. 

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »
This sounds like a chuck issue, go back to the seller, send pics and explain the problem.  You can jury rig it, but that is not solving the problem for the long run.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.