Author Topic: New problem. Wobble on the mandrel  (Read 7535 times)

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
New problem. Wobble on the mandrel
« on: July 28, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
  I have read a few of the posts after some searching.  That being said.  I purchased a collet chuck system from beall tool.  1 1/2 8tpi for a powermatic 90. 
  After screwing the chuck on the spindle I inserted the collet in the collar and screwed that on then put my mandrel in and tightened it down. The collet was near flush like it was supposed to be but I got a huge wobble on the mandrel.  I didn't make a video but will the next time.  What are some tings to rule out that might make the collet chuck or mandrel wobble.  The mandrel are from webfoot.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: New problem. Wobble on the mandrel
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:43:22 PM »
When you screw on the collar with the Collet in it tighten it down all the way before you insert your mandrel, then unscrew it and insert the mandrel and tighten it down.... If that doesn't work I don't have a clue....
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 01:31:09 PM »
Try this. Put your mandrel in the collet where you want it to be tightened down. Put the collet/mandrel assembly into to collet collar and snap it in flush. Then tighten the whole assembly up good and snug into the collet body.

There are a few pic's within the site to show you what I'm trying to explain. My explanation may be off but it works in my head  :stuart:.

Good luck. If you have a mandrel from Wade and a Beall collet system, I'm almost certain the issue is the way you are installing it?

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:11:11 PM »
Roll the mandrel across a counter. You will find the mandrel is far from the issue. It is almost always an issue of how the mandrel was inserted in the chuck.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:31:06 PM »
Any chance that you are using one of the nylon spacers on the headstock to keep chucks from sticking?  They sometimes cause run out problems.   Does the chuck show any signs of wobble?  Are you sure you seated the collet correctly, when all else fails, start all over and follow the instructions.

If all else fails call Beall Tool, they will know what is wrong and how to fix it.   

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »
One thing that I learned from the guys on here is to be sure the collet is inserted correctly in the chuck. Make sure you seat the collet before you tighten the chuck. I had a bad habit of putting the collet in the chuck barrel and then put the collet on it. Put the collet in then tighten it. If not you could be putting it in cattywompus and make the mandrel run crooked.

Offline Jack at Mud Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:50:47 PM »
It's been beat to death to snap the collet into the nut before you thread the nut on the chuck body so I'm not going to rehash that. But I have 2 PSI collet chucks and one of them the collet doesn't snap in securely, I have to really pay attention when I tighten it up that the collet is in properly. The other chuck I think I could throw the nut against the wall and it would retain the collet. Could be as simple as that.
The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 10:54:47 PM »
Remarkably, on rare occasions, I've had my collet chuck not seat properly for some unknown reason. Having exhausted all other possibilities, it was worth a shot to take a look. It was undetectable to my eye but removing it, clearing the threads, then reseating it corrected the issue.
There are not a lot of moving parts to a collet chuck/mandrel setup and for the most part they are machined to very exacting tolerances... far beyond what would be required for woodturning. Inspect each respective part individually and you will easily find the culprit.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline davidpoisson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 08:44:51 AM »
I've had two things happen to me:

- The usual suspect: Collet not snapped correctly
- But I also had a 3/4" collet that was chipped. I contacted my vendor and he finally exchanged it for me. Wish I still had the pic...it was a PSI collet chuck.

David

Offline davidpoisson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:41:27 AM »
Oh, well look at that! I actually still had the pic around somewhere...

It's not that big...it's right in front, towards the top.

David

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 12:49:16 PM »
Yeah, Jack.. speaking of beating it to death, I almost did until the collet clicked. I almost didnt say anything because I knew someone would say what you did. But I always start with the most obvious cure, most times saves time and sometimes money and always aggravation.

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 02:29:02 PM »
Ok here is a picture of my Collet collar that goes on my chuck. 

The top part that is black is actually ground into the collar (circled in pink).  If you look at davidpoisson picture, right where he has the chip in his collet is where it is ground into the collar.  I would think that should be smooth or you would get a wobble correct?

The green circle is a lip that is 1/8 to 1/4 inch big but in the pink circle it is almost non existent.  You can catch it with your fingernail but it is much smaller than the green circle.

The pic is slightly off center but you can see that the circles don't line up.  Should they line up? is this what your collars look like?

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 03:53:37 PM »
I think it is time to call Beall Tool.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
Hard to tell with pics, but looks like both of mine.

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
Are we sure the mandrel and collet size match up?  Maybe something is a little under or over sized. 
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.