Author Topic: St. Charles, time to get after it....  (Read 2188 times)

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
St. Charles, time to get after it....
« on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:02 PM »
Howdy gang!
You haven't seen a call from me since April, cause I've been on a glue-a-thon... :punk:
I'm spinning one up tomorrow, and getting a jump on things I hope. 

That's all you get to see of this one, until next April... :pot: :stuart:

Doug

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Re: St. Charles, time to get after it....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:37:21 PM »
Doug we don't like to be teased like this.  I think I'm going to have to ban you until April as punishment.   :pot:

FOCUS THAT CAMERA PLEASE!!!!     :censored:

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:27:16 PM »
 :yes: Yep...Do it Aaron.  Doug you big tease.
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:24 PM »
Yep, I'm teasing you all a bit, so fire up and get after making your entries....
Dig out those notes, plan those designs and jump on it now, fire up!!   :taz: :hammer: :punk:

Caney Creek Calls

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 06:54:56 AM »
Doug thats jut not right bud! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:14:48 AM »
That's an awful colorful piece of fire starter Doug!!  :up1: :up1:

RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 08:33:47 AM »
I figured I would share a few photos of the process I have been going through on the glue-a-thon....   :beer:

24 segment rings, 7.5 degree segments...

Back side has been sanded flat on the belt sander, two rows of double sided carpet tape laid down in flat mdf board, with rings stuck on really good.  Spare pieces at the leading and trailing edge so the drum sanding is completely flat when it gets to the good pieces...

The nail biting part of it all, running the whole batch through the drum sander, and hoping nothing comes loose and gets chewed up...

After pulling the drum sanding off without a problem.... :whistling: :hammer:  I grab each ring with pliers and carefully wiggle them back and forth until the carpet tape gives up it's grip and they pop loose.  This technique gives you perfectly flat identical rings, ready to be glued up and make a blank.  If you don't own a drum sander you can sand each side with sandpaper on a flat surface, but it is a ton of work. 

Hopefully these pictures will help you all understand how it's done, so now you can all fire up some more and get after those St. Charles calls..... :punk:

All The Best!
Doug

Offline Tyson Rae

• New Forum Member
    • Dirty D Call Lanyards
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:02:59 AM »
Good grief Doug! That is amazing. I can't wait to see how this call turns out. So many different glue ups and so many different woods. That's awesome brother! And yes, it has been too long. You need to find some interim projects to do in between these. Miss seeing your work on here.

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:33 AM »
Wow Goose, That is 560 pieces glued up. I get tired and confused just looking at them. Now wonder you dont have much competition out there. Waaaay too much work. But man how they look when you are done! Cant wait to see the finished product. Thin line between craftsman and artist, you and some of the other guys on here have widened that line to a sizable gap. Keep up the good work cause we all appreciate it.

Offline mmaloney

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 09:01:23 AM »
 :bow:

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 08:15:14 PM »
Wow Goose, That is 560 pieces glued up. I get tired and confused just looking at them. Now wonder you don't have much competition out there. Waaaay too much work. But man how they look when you are done! Cant wait to see the finished product. Thin line between craftsman and artist, you and some of the other guys on here have widened that line to a sizable gap. Keep up the good work cause we all appreciate it.

Thanks for the encouragement!!... I'm at 772 total pieces in the call and it's turned without exploding into shrapnel.. I still have to open up the bell so the potential still exists.  A little nerve racking spinning it all up, but the glue does hold it all together very well.  So far.  :whistling:

BLKDOGS

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »
Doug I was not going to look at this because I knew how awesome it would be. I wasn't disappointed  :bow: :bow: :bow: How will I ever be able to compete in the same class. I will lay awake at night with the thoughts of that call dancing in my head.  :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:.  I have me design bouncing around my pea brain  :huh: :huh:. Cant wait to see it done. All joking aside,  Good luck my friend. I know the feeling of wanting to puke when turning a laminate. 

Like Doug says, guys start cutting and glueing and let see what you can come up with