Author Topic: Fairly new to acrylic. Have a few questions  (Read 6103 times)

Offline RVivian

• New Forum Member
Re: Fairly new to acrylic. Have a few questions
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 08:40:43 AM »
As with any acrylic/resin blank, light slow cuts and high RPM's with very sharp tools are my best suggestions.

Ray
RAY

Central Texas

Aaron Vice

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 12:17:41 PM »
here's my idea for a jig to make cutting corners a little safer. as long as the distance from the "valley" to the blade is set at more than 3/4",  I'll have a 1.5"+ octagon when finished.

Would love to know if anyone has ever made one of these, and if it was worth it.

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »
That'll work.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 02:33:22 PM »
I love the beartooth stuff as you can tell by the calls I post. I called Ernie and he started making my blanks at 8'' instead of the regular 5''. Also I asked about molding me some rounds but he said he didnt make those in rounds. But he said he takes his belt sander and sands off the sharp corners. I do that and never have a problem with chipping and I use carbide tools also. I really like the way his turns and I can get mine from several sources here. Only problem is they only sell 5''. The ones I get there because I'm impatient as a 2 yr old, I sleeve with clear acrylic. Try the sander, I works well just be sure to wear a mask.

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
by the way, if you want larger blanks, when you order, when you fill out the form just ask for the length you want or put a email in with it. They are great to do stuff like that, very courteous and great at customer relations.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2014, 03:17:39 PM »
I would caution all to be extremely careful using a table saw to cut acrylic. Remember that it is basically Plexiglas and that it chips and shatters very easily. I used to cut my acrylic rods down on a chop saw until I had a catch that cost me 8" of rod and 20 minutes of digging shards of plexi out of the hand that was holding it. I switched to using my bandsaw to cut rods, and have been safer for it.

Just my  :2:

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

Offline R.FINCHUM

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 01:40:12 PM »
like Bob said, I have had a real problem with taking the outer crust off of acrylic. It would eat my left had up. I got tired of picking pieces out of my hand and started wearing a thin leather glove till I got it right for turning. And I know what you're saying, that could be dangerous if the glove gets caught. You have to be VERY careful. but it sure beats having a bloody hand at the end of the day.

Offline CJohnston

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »
I have been using some of beartooths acrylic, It would make life easier if I had a belt sander. I ended up sanding the corners by hand myself lol, but it turned out really nice.
Last Pass Calls!!

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2014, 10:14:49 AM »
Seems like out of all the vendors out there that sell acrylic blanks, 98% of what is sold is to pen turners or call makers?  Not sure how it is all made up, but dowels would be better in the long run.  The Beartooth, et al, acrylic is made overseas I beleive. I sure wish you could readily get those colors in dowels; less waste and less turning.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail