Author Topic: Mandrels  (Read 11076 times)

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
Mandrels
« on: July 20, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »
  I just started turning deer grunts.  The first one was a kit that came with the expanding bushing mandrel.  It worked great on the first one.  I just tried to turn the second one today and could hardly get any wood off of the blank on the 1/2 inch mandrel because the bushing was cooked. :down1:.

So my question is what mandrel works the best?  I am not looking to break the bank because I am still getting my feet wet but need something better than what I have any help would be great

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline Jack at Mud Creek Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Mandrels
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:06:57 PM »
I use an expanding mandrel from flint hills, he used to advertise here but I don't see it now, maybe I'm just overlooking it. A web search should get his contact info, assuming he is still in business. Very high quality tooling and many on here will recommend this mandrel.

I believe webfoot custom calls also sells mandrels, you can find his contact info in the advertisers section here on THO. I've heard very good reviews on this tooling as well.

I also have a few of these mandrels in other sizes and for the money they are tough to beat.  http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=240-3200&PMPXNO=4840009&PARTPG=INLMK3
The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament shows his handiwork. Psalm 19:1

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »
  The expanding mandrels that say they need a draw bar, can you put the in a collet chuck with out huring them?

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 09:34:06 PM »
There is an mt taper (mt 2 and mt 1) or a straight or stepped shank, don't get the mt mandrels unless you want to use a draw bar, just get the straight shanked ones.... I got my stuff from webfoot and enco, I would not recommend buying from enco, their set screws strip out really easily.... My webfoot mandrel is still going strong!!  :yes:
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »
Dave when you  use the morse taper  mandrels you have to iuse the tail stock right?  THe straight ones need the drawbar trough the head stock right?

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 09:39:45 PM »
Flint Hills, you need to go to his website. Webfoot has a section here.

The collet chuck mandrels are much cheaper than the draw bars.

Some day HUT may get with the program, but for the time being, they are still a pen supply shop taking advantage of the game call making market being on an upswing.

Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 09:43:49 PM »
Dave when you  use the morse taper  mandrels you have to iuse the tail stock right?  THe straight ones need the drawbar trough the head stock right?

A tail stock is not needed for either, but it stablizes your work a lot for the rough out.

The draw bar kind has a MT insert paermanently attached to it. That is why it can't go in a collet chuck.

It all depends on whether you like using a collet chuck or not, and if your lathe accepts their screw-on attachment to your lathe....which about every new one does.

Collet chuck type mandrels are cheaper because there is less hardware and less prep time for the mandrel maker.

I use both. I like the draw bar type because that is what I am used to.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 10:32:59 PM »
If I were in your position a collet chuck (so long as it fits the lathe) would be first.  It has become an essential piece of hardware for me.  I think many folks would say the same.  If you can't swing a mandrel at the same time.  You can make a pin mandrel pretty easy and inexpensive.  Hop on you tube and look at Carl Jackson's channel.  He has a video about making a pin chuck.  I'm sure if you do a search on here there are some instructions on making a pin mandrel. 

Also you can buy collets for a morse taper.  I believe Packard carries them.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 10:40:45 PM »
I would think a collet with a morse taper would have to be backed up with your tailstock for sure?

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2014, 11:01:36 PM »
A drawbar applied pressure to close the collet.  I saw it is a capital Eddie video.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 11:17:29 PM »
First what lathe do you have?  They are not all equal, some have no Morse Taper, some have MT1 and some have MT 2 or even other combos.  The collet chucks with the MT are not the best choice, sometimes cheaper, but I would save my money for a PSI or Beall Tool collet. 

Another option that will work on any lathe is using what I call a "spindle mandrel".   One is explained here http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,12423.msg93869.html#msg93869
If you don't have a tap, you can just turn it between centers, not as accurate on repeats but will work.  For a grunt call you would need one with 3/4" ends and one with a 1/2" ends.  Your cost will be your time and some scrap wood. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
Dog catcher
  I am using a powermatic lathe.  It takes a mt#2 and I know it has a collet chuck.  I was looking at the step mandrels from webfoot kill two birds with one stone.  Plus the price is right for me right now.  I just don't know if collet chuck will hold the small diameter of that particular mandrel.  I am looking at this one.

http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/wfcccart/mandrels/stepped_exp/EA583412

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 09:49:35 AM »
It says 5/8" shank. That means you need a 5/8" collet to hold it. The PSI sets have a 5/8" collet in the set.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2014, 09:53:55 AM »
You say "kill two birds with one stone". A step mandrel is not going to expand for you at 1/2" and 3/4".  The 1/2" is where it expands. The 3/4" has to do with you step drilling in your blank at 3/4" and this mandrel will help stabilize that. The 1/2" drilling in the step is where the blank is held on the mandrel by the expansion screw.

I see where it says you are just getting started on deer calls.

Don't mess with these step mandrels at this point.  Get a 1/2" straight mandrel for your stopper, and a 3/4" straight mandrel for your barrel.  If you get your shank size the same (which Webfoot does in 5/8" shank) then you will not have to change out the collet when you change out the mandrel.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:00:52 AM by VECtor Calls »

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline M Perrault

• New Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:57 AM »
Guys thanks for all the info.  I am picking your brains with a ton of questions and the fast reply's are great. :bigup:

Thanks again.