Author Topic: Rasp Handle Question  (Read 2214 times)

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
Rasp Handle Question
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:45:11 PM »
A ferrier friend of mine just asked if I could turn a handle for his rasps.  It doesn't look too terribly hard but a few questions came up on my end. From the way I'm seeing (and a little bit of reading) i just need to turn it to an ergonomic shape, turn a short tenon on the end for the ferrule and make a hole. 
1. Should the ferrule just be glued and pressed on? Like a band?
2. What do i do with the hole?  since the rasp end is rectangular and tapered do you just make an undersized hole and tap it on?  He said they change them out often so it needs to fit snug but be able to come out.  My other thought was to laminate a piece in the center that has the notch cut for the rasp.  In my mind it would function like a morse taper but I didn't know how this would work. 

Anyone done this?
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Rasp Handle Question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 09:48:48 AM »
I would take a look on Google or YouTube on turning tool handles.   I've turned a number of them and used brass or copper for the furrels.   I never had to worry about changing the tool part out, but I use a lot of files with wood handles and have never had a problem seating them when changing them.   Dumb, I always buy the wood handle when I could just make them.....  I think just drilling an undersized hole will work, and of course if it ever wears out you can always make him an other one.

Al @ THO

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 10:42:10 PM »
Maybe taper the hole a little?   
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 11:26:01 PM »
I would pin the band on, files take a lot of abuse in farrier work and a split handle will not be very good public relations.   I drill the center for the file, and use the hole with a steel rod as a jam chuck.  A set of transfer punches work pretty good as mandrels.  The triangular tang is your guide for the drill holed, it has to be smaller than the tang.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.