Author Topic: Tone Boards without a jig.  (Read 18082 times)

AS@Smith Crafters

Re: Tone Boards without a jig.
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2014, 05:16:54 PM »
Oh Yes I hunt a lot. i know how to get them to sound the same. Well not how too, but what they should sound like. I've got 7 now that sound good, and 1 toneboard in the trash. I after I made that first one and a jig, this is easy... or easier than it was. They actually sound like ducks now too! I used to make a barrel and then an exhaust and glue in a purchased toneboard. i think they were JC duck calls. But know I'm making my own. I'm taking and making the barrel and exhaust nearly the same, but instead I'm putting in my own toneboard, and it's wedged in, not glued. I don't know what style of call this is, but it's personally more simple than and Arkansas style call. :bigup:

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
I am pretty sure you are using the Louisiana style toneboard.  Here is a Lohman duck call with one.

And a Faulks duck call with one.

My advice would be to try to get a couple of the old Faulks or Lohmans and use them as guides.  They have been in use for over 60 years, and have been responsible for more than a few ducks falling from the sky.  Steel hardened jigs for the LA style are expensive, handmade wood jigs will work, you just have to be careful when cutting the toneboards and wedges. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2014, 09:11:48 AM »
I'm taking and making the barrel and exhaust nearly the same, but instead I'm putting in my own toneboard, and it's wedged in, not glued. I don't know what style of call this is, but it's personally more simple than and Arkansas style call. :bigup:

I don`t know what style of call this is....he says.  He makes a call and doesnt know what style it is....he maaaaakes a call and doesnt know what style it isssssss....sorry, I'm trying to wrap my brain around this one.  Waterfowling is about history boss.  You might want to attempt holding the horses before you hook up the wagon.  Read a little history or atleast for the love of God know what your doing is called

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2014, 10:01:17 AM »
Going to have to disagree with some of your post there, Stump.  Waterfowling is about history, but it's also about innovation, in my opinion.  Sounds like he's making a Louisiana style call to me.  But, even if it isn't a true LA style call, it may end up being a twist on that.  Everybody's gotta start somewhere and learning the terminology is just part of the learning curve.  I'd hate to discourage folks from asking questions just because they're unsure of the terminology.  Just my opinion.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
Going to have to disagree with some of your post there, Stump.  Waterfowling is about history, but it's also about innovation, in my opinion.  Sounds like he's making a Louisiana style call to me.  But, even if it isn't a true LA style call, it may end up being a twist on that.  Everybody's gotta start somewhere and learning the terminology is just part of the learning curve.  I'd hate to discourage folks from asking questions just because they're unsure of the terminology.  Just my opinion.

I agree.  Back when I started there wasn't all of this history available, the choices were to look at old calls and try to come up with a better "mouse trap".  It was years later that I learned that a Louisiana style toneboard was a Louisiana style toneboard, same with the Arkansas boards.  They were reed set ups, no names to differentiate the types, I didn't know the wedge was called a wedge either, it was a holder "thing a ma jig". 

Fly the best way you can with what you have available.   Today's new callmakers have an advantage, I would recommend using all of the resources available, but also think outside of the box.  You never know who might come up with the better "mouse trap".

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2014, 04:26:09 PM »

We are here to help.

We all started someplace, and we each had a few nice gentlemen teach us a few things here and there as we have learned to make calls.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 01:25:36 PM »
Like I said I'm a 17 year old kid makimg these. I didn't even knkw about this forum untile a few weeks ago. I found some calls, found some people were making them, and said to myself "I have pretty good lathe knowldge, how hard can it it be?" Turns out its pretty hard. The turning of the call, is what I already knew how to do, then I had to learn how to make a toneboard. I got with the program and tried a few different things. I found out soon that the way I was trying was an Arkansas style. My dad had an old call (I think a faulks) that was Louisiana style. I could make any good souns with an Arkansas so I figured what the hell, try something new. It worked ok the first time, but then I went with a bigger tone board when someone suggested it. Now I'm kicking out two or three calls a day. I think I got it down pretty well. A few more tools would really help with some presion stuff, but other than that, they look and souns awsome. Cant wait till this fall to test them out on some real ducks.

I get that takimg my time and reading all this stuff would help, but I only needed a little help. I dont want be a leach and suck up everything, I like to learn on my own. I just NEEDED help. Nothing I did was working, so I got what bit of info I could, and it set me on the right path.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 01:34:41 PM »
Now I know that I'm not an expert, but I have at least 10 calls that make awesome sounds, and if anyone cares to k ow, this is how I do it. I take me piece of wood (I need at least 1,1/2 in x 1,1/2 in x 6in) I cut a out a 2in exhaust, and a 3 in barrel. Driil the barrel with  a 3/4 and the exhaust with a 1/2. Take and turn them down on the lathe, get the the exhaust to fit into the barrel, polish um up reall good. Then I take a 1/2 dowell and drill it with a 7/32. The dowell is cut at 2,1/2 and the drilled hole is 2,1/4 deep. Then I cut it nearly in half. One half has more, so I take of the top 1/4 of the dowell I guess. I mad mhself a wood jig, that I file it down to. Then I round the end of the tone board a bit more. I can show u somepics if you want.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
Oh yes. And now I have a little problem.  I made a call out of Macascar ebony. Its beautiful but, its crackimg where the exhaust goes into the barrel. I think its TOO hard. Is this true? I was hoping anyone knew where to buy aluminum sleeves to go inside the call, so they wont crack when u push the pieces together?  I know Hadden Hailers does this with his goose calls at least. I was wonderi g if there was somewhere I. Ould get them, or if I need to order them fro a machine shop myself. The metal sleeve also gives it more volu, e I discovered,  so that would be nice to. My. Alls aren't quiet, but they are not loud either.

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
Love to see the pictures on how you are doing it.  Maybe post a separate thread so we can make a tutorial.  Add the technical how too detail with the pictures please.
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 03:03:02 PM »
Yep, give us some pics and a detailed description.  I'm interested!

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2014, 03:24:56 PM »
I made a  new post, but the pictures are not playing nice. Ill get them up soon.

AS@Smith Crafters

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
Some of you guys were really helpful, and the rest of you just wanted to bag on it or argue, you should just start a trash talking thread. Im 17 for crying out loud! How many of you were building calls as a teen? Because if anyone says has I really want to hear your strory. But the rest of you that don't want to help, please just leave it alone.

But for the rest of you whk were helping, I have made some 20 LA style calls, that sound quite close to each other. Each one was done the same. Well actually after awhile I made a few modifications, because they stuck on a hail call a lot, but I changed them all to the same. I have learned some very useful things, and if anybody has any preferences on material, I could use some more help.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »
... How many of you were building calls as a teen?

:wav1:
Actually I wasnt a teen, I was 10 when I started but say I started making calls when I was 11 - cause nothing I made was really a call until I was 11 - and I turned 11 about 3 months after I "Started" anyway.  Sold my first call when I was 13 or 14, I was commissioned to make one for someone after they saw mine.  But I didnt have the wondrous things that are out there these days.... like Google, Internet, ANYONE who was willing to share ANYTHING about call making.  All there was, was an occasional book or article about call collecting - which is where I picked up a lot of terms.  And where there werent terms - I used my own (some of which are main stream words now - so I d guess others had the same thoughts I did for terminology and it stuck).  And certainly no books on call making or places you could buy tools for it.  Heck, when I first started - I didnt even have a lathe.  (the "Story" is here   http://www.webfootcustomcalls.com/aboutowner.html  )

I gained a lot of my info from instrument making books (clarinet etc) and plain ole wood turning books from the library.

Now, there are call making forums, at least one call making book, and tons of info on the web (google, youtube, etc...).  On top of that, there are all sort of parts one can buy now to be an "instant call maker" and get rich quick like the duck dynasty boys.  Not to mention places where you can get tools specifically for call making.

Id suggest spending as much time as you can reading...  old posts, new posts, tutorials, everything you can get your eyes on.  Youll learn a lot and find answers to questions you have, answers to questions you didnt know existed, and end up with questions you never even knew to ask.  Just remember - through the whole process, think logically and analytically... I think that is the biggest help a person can give themselves.  Thinking it through. 

Thats one reason why a lot of questions I get asked, get answered with questions.  I know some people hate it - but my intent is get them to think in a way that they can help themselves.  Sort of teaching a man to fish, instead of giving him a fish - type deal.

I think some of the negativity out there stems from the apparent need for "instant gratification" these days.  Everyone wants the answers, but doesnt want to put any effort into learning...  and when some people see that start to show - they get stand-offish pretty fast.  Though, you might not want to "call out" the curmudgeons quite so quickly...  Lots of times the crusty guys have tons to teach, but are waiting for someone to show they have put in the effort to prove they wont just waste their time.  And honestly, Im like that...

Have a good time with it!  Thats the important part to this hobby, I think.  If it aint fun... why do it?

Cheers
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D