Author Topic: White Oak Burl  (Read 3624 times)

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
White Oak Burl
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:33:34 PM »
Robert Jordan and I went burl hunting and nabbed a monstrous White Oak. I cut and slabbed it, processed the blanks, dried some out and stabilized it, which is what you see here. I'm getting a lot better at hand cutting the reeds and tuning them... as well I should be, I've been on a Reelfoot high since the NC TaT. This call is going to a great callmaker and one of the guys who has truly inspired me, Jeff@Mutt Calls.

I've got another barrel from this completed and waiting on me to make a different toneboard jig; I should have a solution worked out this afternoon. I'll add it to this post when complete, that call will also be heading to a callmaker on THO who has really helped me along.
Hope you guys like them.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: White Oak Burl
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:05:53 PM »
Dang, Joe... That's a nice call!

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 03:50:38 PM »
Beautiful, Joe!  Jeff's gonna be very happy!

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 07:27:40 PM »
That is a very nice call. Nice burl!
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:19 PM »
Thanks guys. Just wanted to share how I cut my tone channels real quick... Fred is constantly asking why more of the fine callmakers here on THO don't make them, I'm not sure why either but would love to see more doing it. For those of you, like me, who have a limited callmaking budget, observe. This is a simple unidirectional sled that holds my insert while I cut the tone channel. I built this jig from Maple, Oak, and Mahogany scraps and hardware I had laying around. The only out of pocket investment was the ball nose endmill which I picked up on ebay for $5 shipped. For those of you who came to my shop, you'll notice this is simply a horizontal version of the lifting mechanism in my home made table saw.
"We have a lot of great call makers in NC. Maybe more call makers than ducks." - JCZ

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 10:00:30 PM »
...and this is the jig I made today to replace the bandsaw sled Henry made (RIP). It works great but every insert is now limited to a maximum OD of 1", though this works with Fred's idea of using 1" dowels for the inserts.

The sled just ruined one too many inserts, Henry. It kept binding on me which I believe is a fault of my bandsaw not your sled design.

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
Looks great Joe!!
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 11:18:57 PM »
Love the new sled, Joe - great work and great use of resources.  Plenty of ways to skin this cat!

Same thing on the jig... sorry the bandsaw sled didn't work better for you.  Why 1"?  Largest drill bit?

Offline Joe Short

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 12:05:33 AM »
Henry,
I could have gone larger but after measuring the ones I've already done, only two are over 1" and one is the plug and play you so graciously gave us. I think it will work well for the shape and size I prefer on my calls, I just lose a bit of the variability... which I am a bit saddened over as i like options.
The drill press sled is the one I built right after you guys left, it's doing a great job for me!

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »
Joe, I just ran across this post from you. I know we spoke in length on the phone of how much I appreciated this call.  Henry, thank you so much for imparting this wisdom upon Joe. I can tell you with certainty, he has done you proud.  Not only does this call look unbelievably awesome, the sound that HAILS from it is second to none!

Joe, I wanted to openly thank you again for this wonderful gift!!!

All, keep an eye out for this Joe Short fella... he is definitely on the the "list" of Reelfoot callmakers!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail