Author Topic: Squirrel call sound file??  (Read 3430 times)

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Squirrel call sound file??
« on: June 29, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
Does anyone have a squirrel call sound file you could post on here?? I'm in the process of making one right now and I'm wanting to know what sound your looking for while blading the reed.... Thanks!! ~David
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

• New Forum Member
Re: Squirrel call sound file??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »
Also, if its possible could someone post a picture of a reed that has been bladed? I just don't want to screw this up!! It HAS to be perfect or I will not sell it!! Thanks!
David

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 12:27:58 PM »
David, your squirrel call guts should include a rubber bushing and a sound board looking device?  If you got them from Al or any other vendor, I suspect this is the case. Your sound board device should have two reeds on it. Both may be metal or one metal and one plastic(depending where you got them).  To get a squirrel sound from these you must bend or "blade" the top reed. This can be a trying time as these reeds are fragile. Try this first. 1) Find a way to hold the reed securely without bending anything. 2) You will need to slide something thin between the two reeds, perhaps a razor blade or something similar. 3) Bend up or blade up the top reed approx 30° away from the bottom reed(this is where sound will vary depending on where you place your bend) I like to put my bend roughly in the middle of the top reed. 4) insert your reed assembly into the rubber bushing and insert into your 1/2" bored call.  Use a 3/8" dowel to push your reed assembly in; keeping the dowel firmly pressed against the metal part of the assembly. Push it in approx half way and check your sound. This is also a variable with your sound.

If you have any questions, I'm glad to help you out.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 12:49:52 PM »
Ohhhhh, so I don't blade both reeds?? Oops!!  :eek:  I'll try that and see what I can get out of it! I just have to wait for the finish to dry..... Thanks!!
David

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:18 AM »
Let us know how you make out with it.  Yes, you only blade one reed... the upper or top reed!

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail