Author Topic: DIY tools  (Read 8168 times)

Offline Rick Howard

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
DIY tools
« on: June 17, 2014, 09:26:35 PM »
There maybe a thread about this already but, I figured I would try to put together a quick Condensed version of DIY tools I have done.  Some ideas I got right here at THO and some were just things I did. 

This is a 5/16" collet I made to fit inside my 5/8" collet.  It's a 5/8" piece of delrin.  I drilled the hole on the lathe holding it with the collet.  It is an easy way of centering the hole.  Then took it to the band saw and cut just passed halfway lengthwise.  Then flip it around rotate it 90 degrees and cut just passed halfway lengthwise.  Now I can hold 5/16" rounds with my 5/8" collet.  This can be applied to lots of sizes using the standard size collets that come with the PSI chuck set.  I have not tried any other sizes yet though.  I hypothesize that you would not want too much delrin per the hole size.  So I would not make a 5/16 collet for the 3/4" collet.  Hope that's not confusing.  I'm not saying ya can't but I would be suspect of the gripping strength at some point.   

The above works well for holding this 5/16" bolt mandrel/spur.  Pretty self explanatory.  Cut head off bolt.  I made a bolt mandrel like this one from a 3/8" bolt while back. (Bottle stopper guys might like this). Marvin gave me the idea for cutting the x in the tip to make it a spur drive.  You can use these a few ways.  Washers and nuts to squeeze.  Thread the piece and utalistze the threads.  Or use it as a spur inside a hole.

Here is a practical buffing system from 1/2" bolts using the above concept.  Nut, lockwasher, washer, wheel,washer,lockwasher, nut.  Tighten.  Make a few or put 3 wheels on a long bolt for different compunds.  Buffing system that fits your half inch collet.  You saved $70.  I support it with a 60 degree cone at the tail stock.  I have one wheel on each of my bolts.  I like the room.   

Some kinda scraper....  1/4" square bar.  Flatten top bottom and side on disc sander.  Then create your bevel.  I used a agle grinder to get a start.  Then the disc sander.  Then a medium stone for the top and the bevel to finah it off.  I drilled a 1/4" hole in the end of some walnut stock I got from work.  Used 1/4" mandrel like a jam to turn Between centers.  3/4" ID copper for a ferrule Sand and finish to you liking.  I used gorilla glue in the hold and pressed the shaft into the handle..... Scraper.  Not high quality but certainly works.  Holds an edge for a little while.  Touch ups are easy with the disc sander or stone. 

Tool rest.  Angle iron, 5/8" bar or in my case I had a 5/8" bolt laying around.  If you have the bar stock you can skip the first two steps.   Cut the head off the bolt, cut the threads off too.  On one end  Grind an angles to match the angle iron.  I used plumbers play dough to attatch the two pieces. ( I don't recall the real name.  You can find it with the epoxies and glue and hardware store.  Home Depot is where I got this). Make sure you clean the surface of the angle iron and bar stock to get right of rust and oil before you play dough together.  This rest is 9" long.  I don't think it will take a ton of pressure but works good for Turing strikers.  Obviously if you can weld... You have it made much better.  I dot have the equipment and am terrible at welding.  Eventually I will have a buddy tack a few pieces of 5/8" round bar together for me. 

I am sure I have more stuff..  But this is all I can remember right now.  Hopefully folks can add to this thread. 

In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Rick Howard

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
Re: DIY tools
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »
Screw chuck I used for turning strikers.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,20584.0.html
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline Rick Howard

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 09:31:09 PM »
I forgot to mention.  On the small spur you want to run that inside a hole with the tail stock apply pressure still.   I don't think you have enough grab to run it like a true spur.  Be safe folks.  If something does not look right or feel right... Don't dot it. 

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 10:46:18 PM »
Good stuff Rick!  I hope others have tools to add to the mix!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Rick Howard

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 11:14:57 PM »
A couple reasons I wanted to do this thread.  First the accolades!  Lol.   

Actually Im just trying to do my part in giving back to a community I have learned so much from.  It is my hope that fellas post some tooling that they have made to keep this going.  Likely this will help someone just getting started.  I remember wanting to do it all at once.  With some ingenuity those goals can be a little more economical.  Or refine the process with a little custom tooling, homemade style.  Also I hope it might help spur other ideas by applying a concept to a different process.  Or even better a different tool!

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 12:55:06 AM »
I will think on this, and see about taking some pics the next couple days.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 09:47:25 AM »
Same here... I'll try to get some pics of some of my homemade tooling up here too.  This is a good idea for a thread.  I know funds for new tools/toys is always a challenge for me.  Seeing what others have made gets my creative juices flowing to find my own homemade solutions!

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 09:28:16 PM »
My $1 buffing mandrels, I drilled and tapped a blank to fit the headstock, then drilled and tapped the other end to fit 1 1/2" bolt with washers.

Marvin

Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline davidpoisson

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 09:31:27 AM »
Love threads like these!

Great ideas guys.

David

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 02:10:47 PM »

Here's a tool I made to cut my o-ring grooves on my duck call inserts. The little nub that sticks out is sharpened like a narrow scraper.

It started out as a 3/8" spade bit. It now cuts the correct width and depth for the o-ring.

You can use any width spade bit to make this tool. But I like the 3/8" as it also make a consistent location for the groove from the shoulder of the exhaust end.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline RVivian

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 08:39:48 PM »
That is a time saver Brian.
 :clap:
Ray
RAY

Central Texas

Offline Rick Howard

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »
Here is a rehash of another post on cutting dowels and tenons with wrenches.

http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,18506.0.html

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 10:38:36 PM »
The simple ones that are overlooked the most are wood toneboard jigs and wood mandrels.  Both can save anew callmaker a few hundred dollars in start up costs.

Plug spindle mandrel post.  http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/topic,12423.msg93869.html#msg93869

Pic of wood jig.

Marvin

Offline Wane

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 11:14:06 PM »
Marvin, on that spindle tap mandrel could you drill a larger hole and also glue a 1&8 nut in it the same as tapping it, may be less expensive and the threads would last longer. I don't need one but I may try it anyway only for pepper grinders.
Wane

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
You could use a nut glued into a blank.  I have made so many different variations using the 1-8 tap that the 1" nuts would cost me more than the price of the tap.  I have about 8 buffing and sander wheels in both shops for a total of 16, then the mandrel versions, I have about a dozen variations of it, times 2 shops.  I also have made some versions of expanding mandrels that I use to hold my bands so they can be polished and engraved while on the lathe, I think about 4 for each shop.   

Also sometimes the "gremlin drill" will create an oversized hole that won't fit the mandrel, but the wood it to good to throw away, so I create an odd sized mandrel to make a call for myself.  Not good enough to sell, but sure looks good on my lanyard.

Marvin