Author Topic: Great service from Jet  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
Great service from Jet
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:45:25 AM »
My Jet 1221vs lathe is almost a year old and gets used every day without fail.  It has been great.  I'm one of those guys that constantly turns it on and off and saws back and forth on the variable speed control.  Since getting this lathe I'm a freak about having the right speed, simply because it is so darn easy and doesn't involve any belt changes. 

So I wasn't really surprised when the variable speed knob started getting a little wobble and started failing to hold the speed settings I dialed it to.  The potentiometer has worn out. 

Then I came to the realization that my warranty registration card is sitting, filled out, on the shelf in my shop.  Whoops.

So I called Jet and talked to a nice guy who didn't give a hoot that my warranty card hadn't been sent in.  He asked for my serial number and was ready to fix my issue.  He was going to send a new potentiometer so I inquired whether or not it is an easy job or something I'd need a rocket science degree for.  His response was that he'd just send the entire control box assembly to make it easy.  He apologized all over himself that I am having the problem and assured me the part would ship same day.

I haven't got the part or fixed anything yet, but so far I'm really impressed.  It would be awful easy for a big company like Jet to tell me to get lost because I never registered the warranty.  I spent $800 on that little lathe and I'm glad that price includes a little no questions asked support. 

Offline Luckydawg

• New Forum Member
Re: Great service from Jet
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
That is great to hear Aaron. I bought another 1014 off Craigslist in case my main one had an issue. I was worried about a breakdown of some sort. Good to know they stand behind their products!!

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:45:47 PM »
New part came today.  Tonight I'll dig in and try to get it fixed!

Offline Mac Dietrich

• New Forum Member
    • McClain Dietrich Custom Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
Aaron my second 1221vs came from the factory like this...wasn't a big issue for me but since the fix was that easy I'll be sure to give them a call tomarrow about it. It had been a bit aggravating but it stilled worked I just didn't wanna big them after they just replaced my 1221 with a brand new 1 lol

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »
Honestly, you guys convince me less every day I want this machine in my shop.  I expect way more out of a piece of equipment at this price.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »
Vince, your running a 1014 right now aren't you? Are little old lathes are gonna be working when the jet 2021 comes out!! lol  :beer:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 08:53:59 AM by David @ Mad Duck Game Calls »
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

• New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 12:02:36 AM »
Funny, when I looked at it after getting the old part off, it was a loose nut under the knob.  Probably easily tightened.  But to my credit, I can't get that darned knob off to get to the nut!  I'm keeping the old one as a spare for when the switch gives up the ghost.  It isn't any different from the potentiometer on every variable speed lathe on the market but they must have epoxied that thing on there! 

5 minutes to swap the part and she runs perfect. 

The part they sent was the entire speed control module.  It has the on/off switch, the digital display as well as the potentiometer. 

I'm calling to thank the guy tomorrow.