The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Molding Calls, Guts, Inserts & Other Parts

Help with Alumilite

<< < (2/2)

Roger Smith:

--- Quote from: Barry @ WildThings on May 31, 2014, 09:26:28 AM ---Also how dry was your wood? With aluminite moisture is a big concern. Any moisture in the wood would react with the resin!

--- End quote ---

Barry, I would have considered it dry.  The wood was small pieces of Australian Burl scraps that had been laying in a box for 2-3 years.  You are correct about moisture.  I tried one pour that had 2 drops of a tint that was water base and the pour foamed like crazy.  It looked like a sponge. 

I went back and Watch the vids by Curtis from TurnTex and he was stating 20-30 minutes under pressure.  I will try it under pressure longer the next time.

dogcatcher:
If you want to play with the resins I recommend spending a few days reading the casting threads on IAP.  The penturners have been working with Alumilite and Simlar41 for years before the callmakers.  They have already sorted out what works and what doesn't work.  There is no point in trying to reinvent the wheel, when they have done it and moved on up to the fancy chrome rims, and went on past to better things. 

One thing to remember, the Shore factor of the resins is not the same as the Shore factor of the cast acrylic from Delvies.  Some of the end products will not work as good as the real acrylics.

Marvin

TurnTex:
Your problem is absolutely moisture in the wood.  Keeping it in the pressure post longer will not help this at all.  I typically only leave stuff in the pot for 30-40 minutes unless it is real cold in my shop.  Then I go one hour.  The only time I see things like this is when I try to take a short cut and the wood is not REAL dry.  My suggestion is to put your wood in a toaster oven at 200° f for a few hours, then cast it while it is still warm.  That will solve this problem for sure.

Roger Smith:

--- Quote from: TurnTex on May 31, 2014, 02:11:32 PM ---Your problem is absolutely moisture in the wood.  Keeping it in the pressure post longer will not help this at all.  I typically only leave stuff in the pot for 30-40 minutes unless it is real cold in my shop.  Then I go one hour.  The only time I see things like this is when I try to take a short cut and the wood is not REAL dry.  My suggestion is to put your wood in a toaster oven at 200° f for a few hours, then cast it while it is still warm.  That will solve this problem for sure.

--- End quote ---

Curtis, thanks.

CJohnston:

--- Quote from: David @ Mad Duck Game Calls on May 30, 2014, 10:52:52 PM ---I don't have any answers, but ask this guy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Flight-Lanyards-Southern-Flight-Calls/526903447388179 He pours his own stuff with Alumilite so he might be able help you out.

--- End quote ---

This guy will help you out. His name is Brannon Gragg. Great guy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version