The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Molding Calls, Guts, Inserts & Other Parts

Help with Alumilite

(1/2) > >>

Roger Smith:
First, I watch some youtube vids of molding by Curtis.

I just started trying to mold some duck call barrels.  I use a piece of 1.5 inch pcv pipe.  I placed several small pieces of wood in the pipe.  I mixed the alumilite, added the green color and poured into the mold.  I set the mold into a pressure chamber and put 50-55 PSI for 30 minutes.

As you see in the image, there are small air bubbles in the area close to the wood.  There is also one void that may not show up in the image. 

David @ Mad Duck Game Calls:
I don't have any answers, but ask this guy https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Flight-Lanyards-Southern-Flight-Calls/526903447388179 He pours his own stuff with Alumilite so he might be able help you out.

dogcatcher:
I think you need to keep the resin under pressure for a longer period of time.  Best I can remember it is recommended to keep the pressure on for at least 2 or 3 hours, but from the IAP some did it longer.  The resin may look and feel solid, but the fully cure time is around 72 hours.  That air bubble is kept small as long as there is pressure on it.  If the resin hasn't set hard enough and you release the pressure the air bubble can or will expand.

Don't take this to the bank, it has been a few years since I quit playing with resins.  All of this info is off my own memory bank.

Marvin

Barry @ WildThings:
Also how dry was your wood? With aluminite moisture is a big concern. Any moisture in the wood would react with the resin!

David @ Mad Duck Game Calls:

--- Quote from: dogcatcher on May 31, 2014, 01:32:53 AM ---I think you need to keep the resin under pressure for a longer period of time.  Best I can remember it is recommended to keep the pressure on for at least 2 or 3 hours, but from the IAP some did it longer.

Marvin

--- End quote ---
Marvin, I believe your right about it needing to be under pressure longer. I was talking to a guy a while back that said he has his under 50-60 PSI for about an hour and a half to two hours. Barry, good point about the moisture, I've read about the moisture causing the alumilite to react when its not low enough somewhere on facebook.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version