Author Topic: Drying question  (Read 1244 times)

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Drying question
« on: May 30, 2014, 01:13:46 PM »
Ok, I have some hedge that I just bought but its still wet. I was wondering how you guys go about drying wood in a microwave/toaster oven.  What do you coat the ends of the wood with that won't melt in the heat?? What temperature do you cook it at?? Any other recommendations/tips would be appreciated!! Thanks!!
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: Drying question
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 01:41:11 PM »
The only time I would, speaking for myself, use a speed up process such as the microwave or toaster oven would be be if my moisture is down around 10%. Otherwise what happened to me is the water wants to expand and split the wood as it exits. It would be better if you used a fan and a light bulb on a box. Just my experience with it.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline N & N Waterfowl

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 01:53:48 PM »
I agree with Larry.  The only time that I use a toaster oven is prior to stabilizing, and the wood is already around 8-10%.  You are running a risk of ruining the hedge.  I'll tell you what.  If you are just looking to work with some hedge, I would be willing to send you a couple blanks...on me!!!  That way to can allow the stuff you have to dry.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
Ok, I guess I'll just let it sit for a while. Does the denatured alcohol thing work on hedge??
David
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:41 AM »
Yes it works.  I just ran an experiment on some Honduran rosewood. Soaked one blank for 4 hrs, another blank for 8 hrs and still another for 24 hours.  Hang the blanks to dry for a few hours and then place each in a paper bag and place on the shelf for 3 months. None cracked!  My control piece, cut from the same board and  just placed in a paper bag, cracked from both ends.  There did not seem to be any advantage from the long soak times  in the denatured alcohol.  I turned a couple of barrels from the soaked/dried blanks and they have been hanging around in the shop, both finished and unfinished,  for a few months now. No cracks in either product so far.

I would recommend that you cut a few blanks, soak in denatured alcohol for 4 hours. let them air dry for an hour and then placed each one in its own paper bag. I used a paper lunch bag from the local Walmart. Wait a few months and you should be good to go. The blanks had some distortion after drying so cut them a little oversize and wait to drill your tone board hole until ready to turn.

Just my experience. Your results with hedge my vary.

Fred

Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?