Author Topic: Call making contest  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Flight Control CC

• New Forum Member
Call making contest
« on: May 25, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »
Just out of curiosity. Does anyone have a list of call making contest? Or would anyone happen to know when and where the next ones may be? Thanks, Alan

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
Re: Call making contest
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:19:36 PM »
Is there a certain kind of contest you are looking for?

Most all of them that I know about are listed here:
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,195.0.html

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 09:23:52 PM »
If you go to the CCAA website they have all the stuff they're doing on a calendar. I don't know if that's what your looking for but I thought I'd tell you anyways.
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 09:44:41 PM »
Is there a certain kind of contest you are looking for?

Most all of them that I know about are listed here:
http://thogamecallsforums.com/index.php/board,195.0.html

Brian

No sir, not really. I have a few calls I would like to enter in a contest or two. After paying attention to the nwtf contest, it kinda perked my interest. Looks like fun, win or lose. The only thing I've seen coming up in reelfoot in October, and the California waterfowl contest. After reading the rules for California's contest, it looks like I would have to go to enter a few. I hate flying, so that won't happen! Thanks for the help, if I missed something let me know. It's very possible! 

I'm mostly looking to see if anything is coming up very soon so I don't miss it.
Alan
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 09:46:49 PM by Flight Control CC »

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 02:08:50 PM »

There are two shows that I know of for fancy calls, the NWTF show in Feb and the CCAA show in April.

Every October, CCAA has a working call contest at Reelfoot.

And the only other one I know about for working calls is the one in California you mentioned.

There used to be a contest in Oregan, but I haven't seem much on it lately.

There aren't as many on the call making side as there are on the call operating side of things.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
I wish I could say that the Oregon show was still alive, but I can't. There was a leadership change in the festival that used to host the event, and there was enough fallout that the contest coordinators left. As far as I know it's done for good, but if I hear anything I'll be sure to post it up.

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:57:15 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the insight

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »
I have already started on next years St. Charles entry.... :beer: 
Go for it Alan! 

Doug

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 12:07:01 AM »
How do you not show anyone what you've done for that long Doug? It would kill me! I have started on a few for that purpose. I'm kinda excited about it. Thanks for the encouragement. -Alan

BLKDOGS

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
Alan, I would encourage you and anyone to put something in these contest. The working call contests Reelfoot and NWTF will help you improve your sound. The Fancy call contests, NWTF and St Charles are fun calls to build and challenge you to build awesome looking calls. If you can make it to any of those events you will learn so much more from the great call makers that are there. Entering those 3 events in the last year have helped keep me driven to build better calls each and every time. 

Doug most likle needs to start now for next April, St Charles, so he can cut, glue and turn the 10,526,432 peices of different colored woods to make his call!!   :bigup:  :rofl: :rofl:

I have my idea for NWTF and St Charles in my little pea brain already and now I need sit and think through how to build it.  :wacko: :wacko:

Jump in and join the fun and the frustration  :bigup: :bigup:

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 08:35:35 PM »
Yep, I'm on a glue-a-thon already...  :punk:
Actually I spent three whole days trying to build a 24 segment compound miter ring and completely failed... :stickman1: :stickman1: :stickman1:
I only glued up about 250 pieces of pine trying, and still have not figured out how to do it consistently where I won't waste my good wood.  It sounds easy enough to do, until you actually dive in and find out there are little things that just blow the whole thing out of the water when you think you have it figured out.  I am setting that little challenge aside for a while..... :surrender:

So.......    No better time to get after making those fancy calls than right now, a little bit every day.