Author Topic: New to stabilizing  (Read 5235 times)

Andrew Marshall

New to stabilizing
« on: April 27, 2014, 11:45:31 AM »
I have seen that some people turn their wood round before stabilizing, to save resin, I'm assuming. My question is, is it possible to pre drill and possibly even rough turn before stabilizing to save as much resin as possible? 

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
Re: New to stabilizing
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 01:27:20 PM »
Yes... though it is advisable to drill smaller than final bore in case the wood moves a bit.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 04:02:15 PM »
I wouldn't pre drill at all.  Yes, it will save a little money, but it will create all sorts of headaches later.  That hole doesn't stay true.  The wood may bend and twist a little in the stabilizing & curing process.  Try chasing a 1/2" diameter hole that oblong and twisted, and turning that into a true 5/8" diameter hole.  It's not easy to do and you will fight it doing it.  Just not worth it in my opinion.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
You could cut the corners off to save a little resin with out having to drill a hole.

David
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Andrew Marshall

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 05:17:27 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I just ordered a gal of cactus juice form turn tex the other day so I should be here in the next couple of days. I'm pretty excited about giving stabilizing a shot. The process seemed pretty straight forward but I will let y'all know if i have anymore questions.
Thanks guys,
Andrew

Offline Wayne at Winzer Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:42:49 PM »
Andrew,
I agree with BigB on this. I have pre-drilled and or rough shaped and sometimes it distorts the wood. My first thoughts was since the vacuum is equal all the way around there shouldn't be a problem. But after discussing with others and analyzing, it may the difference in wood density or moisture levels in sections of the wood. I really not sure but I had rather waste a little juice than loose the blank and the juice I put in it if it distorts. That being said, rounding off a blank a little oversize can safe you some juice and I haven't had a issue with doing that. Just some of my experiences.
Hope this helps,
Wayne
The older blind man was asked "What can be worse than losing you sight?"  He replied " ones vision"
author unknown