Author Topic: THE THICKNESS OF THE SOUND BOARD ???  (Read 10343 times)

Offline K. RUGE

• New Forum Member
Re: THE THICKNESS OF THE SOUND BOARD ???
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »
IM NOT TRYING TO COPY ANYBODY'S CALL  SOME CALLS THAT IVE BOUGHT AND SEE , IVE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE MY OWN , $$$$ YES I NEVER MESSED WITH A LATHE AND DIDNT KNOW WHAT TOOLS TO USE , IVE HAD A COUPLE OF WELL KNOWN CALL MAKERS TELL  ME WHAT I NEED TO HAVE AND SOME BASIC MEASUREMENTS TO GO BY . WHEN I FIGURED OUT WHAT TOOLS TO USE I STOPED BUSTING UP SOME WOOD NOW IM TRYING TO GET THE SOUND THAT I WANT TO BEST MATCH THE SOUND OF HENS THAT IVE LISTENED TOO , I MADE A CALL THAT WORKED REALY WELL BUT I WAS SOOOOO AGGRAVATED WHEN I WAS MAKING IT , STARTED OUT 3.5" AND ENDED UP  3" SIZE CALL AND DURING DEAR SEASON I TOOK IT WITH ME AND WHEN I SAW SOME TURKEYS ON SIDE OF THE ROAD RUNNING AWAY  AND THIS CALL BROUHT 'M BACK ,, THE CALL SOUNDED REAL SWEET .... I WHENT BACK TO MAKING 3.5" CALLS NOT LIKING THE SOUND BUT MY FRIENDS DO , I DONT . AND IM FAVORING THE 3 1/4" And 3" CALLS  I THINK THE ROLL OVER AT THE END OF THE YELPS  IS ALOT BETTER IN THESE SIZES  ... YES IVE SPENT ALOT OF  REAL NICE DOMESTIC WOOD  .. THIS IS AND CAN BE EXPENSIVE BUT FUN AND EXCITING TO SEE WHAT U END UP WITH ... IM STUBBORN AND WHEN I MAKE UP MY MIND THAT I WANT SOMETHING I WILL GET IT ..........   THIS IS THE BEST FORUM THAT I HAVE COME ACROSS TOO GET ADVISE , THANKS  :2up:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 07:56:27 PM by K. RUGE »

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: THE THICKNESS OF THE SOUND BOARD ???
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 06:49:04 PM »
K.Ruge I don't think any one said you were copying. I freely gave you some measurements that I know will work cause I just made the calls this year and hunted the 2 best which were the 3 1/4"ers. What I was trying to point out was I had to change several things in order to get the call working right with the dbl up sound boards. What happened was about 8 years ago I made a 3" with double sound board and it sounds great. So this spring I set off to pump some new life into a old call and make it better and at the same time different. Thats what got me playing with it so it was all fresh in my head when the subject matter came up. In the past I too would tell everyone not to use the dbl strength sound boards mainly because I didn't have a good base to begin to tell others where to start. I had one 3" call I made 8 years ago and felt it was hardly a focus by which all 3" calls should be made like  :hysterical: Thats why I made several of each and kept tweaking each one to see which way the sound was headed. I actually busted the glass out of the 3" and used it for a starting point then changed things from there. Please feel free to try the dimensions I gave out earlier for a starting point and you can take it from there.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF