Author Topic: Collet chuck question  (Read 1551 times)

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
Collet chuck question
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
I have 2 drill chucks that I have been using to hold mandrels on my lathe while turning. Ive used this method for a while now but I always see everybody else using collet chucks. I know what im doing is sortof the cheap way out. What are the differences in using a collet chuck vs a cheap drill chuck to turn calls?

Mike

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Collet chuck question
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:38 AM »
Biggest benefit to collet chucks, in my opinion, is that they screw directly onto the head-stock of the lathe.  So, they're much more secure, don't require you to use the tail-stock to support the piece your turning.  They also seem to grip the mandrels more securely b/c there are more points of contact between the mandrel and the collet.  Most chucks only have 3 or 4 points of contact with the mandrel.

I used to use a drill chuck to hold my mandrels too.  Recently switched over to a collet chuck and love it.

Offline Matt aka ducknazi of Hawk Run Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 03:54:26 PM »
It took me a few years of being "cheap" but I have found that the collett chuck holding the insert is perfect for final steps of the insert.  I know I get a much more consistent tone channel while drilling on the lathe versus the drill press.

Matt
Hawk Run Custom Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 12:03:26 AM »
The collet chuck won't come loose and become a flying bullet.  If the money isn't there, don't be concerned about it, I used a drill chuck to hold mandrels for years, the collet chuck for a wood lathe is not that old, maybe 20, I don't know, but I didn't get mine until about 7 or 8 years ago.  With a drill chuck you have to use a drilled blank and a blind mandrel, it work, just remember, no draw bar your drill chuck can come loose, so always use your tailstock.

But when funds become available, I would get a collet chuck.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 07:29:40 AM »
Even if you have a taper type that takes a draw bar, the head of the drill chuck can come off. As has been said, not matter how little or fast the job is, always have that chuck backed up with your tailstock.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »
Thanks guys I will most likely invest in one soon! Just wanted some of your opinions. :thanks: