Author Topic: wood burning  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Ben Gifford

• New Forum Member
wood burning
« on: April 22, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »
I couldn't find a good topic on this so what is a good wood burner to start out with?  I teach school and we have bought a lot of cheap ones in the past they just don't seem to last very long.  Any suggestions? 

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
Re: wood burning
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:47 AM »
Lots of guys have Colwood Cubs.

I have a Detailmaster Sabre (Woodcraft brand.....think you have one of those stores local, and the local owner will probably give you a discount for it being for education)

My recent purchase is a Razertip. The reason I got it is because of the feather former tips. The same pen that holds the feather former tips also accept custom nichrome wire tips you can make for yourself. No doubt these custom tips would be the most economical for your class. They can be made with any of the burners I have mentioned I am sure with the right pen, but I know the Razertip has them for sure because I have done it, and done it easily. 

You can buy the wire by the foot on Ebay.  Research sizes that would be useful. I don't remember what I have off hand.

Razertip also has an awesome writing tip set. It gets WAY finer than anything I have seen from Detailmaster.

The cheapest American place to buy Razertip tools from is Greg Dorrance. Awesome customer service too. They could very well honor an educator discount too.

She Walters shows as cheaper by a few bucks, but if you dig, you will find the company is in Australia, so shipping takes a WHILE and I don't want to find out about customer returns on something like that. My buddy says they have been great to deal with at the same time.
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline K. RUGE

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:14:30 PM »
HEY VECTOR ARE U , OVER ALL HAPPY WITH THE RAZERTIP BURNER , THANKS

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 08:48:15 PM »
Yep!  Only complaint I can find at all is the pen holder on the side is not near sturdy enough to be trusting a burning hot pen to cool in it. I just set my pen on a ceramic plate.

I have the smaller one port model.  No need for the bigger model unless you are going to get super fancy with some really large burning where you will switch pens back and forth REALLY often.

I would not have the Detailmaster if I would have come across the Razertip first. TONS of heads to choose from.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline RVivian

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 09:34:41 PM »
Can you not use razer tips in other holders?  Anyone have or have used the Optima 1?  I am thinking of the Colwood Cub with 1 handle and tip or the Colwood Cub set w/5 tips from Greg then I saw the Detailer w/5 tips for about 6 bucks more.  I just don't know now.

Ray
RAY

Central Texas

Offline VECtor Calls

• New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »
I think I am confusing you with "holder". The Detailmaster has a cup your hot pen goes in. And it catches it well. The Razertip just has a little plastic snap/clip on the side of the unit to hold the pen, and it is not as solid as I would like.

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline RVivian

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »
Got it now.  Thanks

Ray
RAY

Central Texas