Author Topic: Black Walnut and Holly Set  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Tommy Ellis

• New Forum Member
  • Call maker, wildlife artist, writer
    • Following Ghost
Black Walnut and Holly Set
« on: April 18, 2014, 10:52:56 AM »
Well here is my first post in this section so I thought this set might be the one to start with. Just finished these up for a collector here in Tennessee. He started out wanting a pot call and striker which he sent the glued blanks for along with a box call. When I cut the blank for the striker I saw I had enough for a tube call so I turned that. I added a holly peg to the striker then got it and the pot turned.

For some reason I could not figure out what I wanted to do for the box call but finally did this one. Once it was done i had some of the blank left so it became a scratch box and striker. So what started out as a build with three pieces became this.

"You can't kill 'em on the couch."

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
Re: Black Walnut and Holly Set
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
Wow!  That's a nice set!  Black walnut is one of my favorite woods and I've been wanted to turn some Holly for a while.  That wood combo looks great!

Brad Robinson

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »
Beautiful set! Great job with the laminating!I love walnut also. I have yet to get my hands on some holly.

Offline K. RUGE

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 05:50:08 PM »
A W E S O M E. LOOKING SET.  :2up:

Offline Tommy Ellis

• New Forum Member
  • Call maker, wildlife artist, writer
    • Following Ghost
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
Thanks guys. Steve loved these when he got them and sent me an extra box of maple and white oak burl to say thanks. Holly is a great wood to work and I have a nice sized piece left

Thinking about an African blackwood and holly grunt tube and maybe add brass or copper accents.
"You can't kill 'em on the couch."