Author Topic: 5/8 bore question  (Read 6148 times)

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
Re: 5/8 bore question
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 09:30:04 PM »
Thanks a ton Wade that explains a lot. I had no idea that a drill could be off that much and still be considered "within spec". I cast my own blanks most of the time and I'm working on getting a mold so I can cast them with the holes already in them but for the time being ill be using my drill and my lathe. I just ordered one of your bits so Ill have to wait and see if that makes my bores a little more accurate. Thanks again for the help.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
When I got started I had what I thought was terrible run out.  I used a bit I found in the barn.  I used my calipers set on fraction mode and it said 5/8.  When I found the "Run out" problem later, I went back through everything trying to find the problem.  I soon discovered my bit was not a true 5/8= .625, it was way oversize.  I can't remember the number .695 or something like that.  On  fraction mode my calipers said 5/8 but a true number was way over size.  I went and paid for a good bitthat was a true .625 and all my problems went away.

I bore all my barrels on a drill press.  I built a vice out of a 4 X 4 and a
2 X 4 that clamps down to the base of the drill press.  I got the plans out of a duck call making book my wofe bought me.  It is much easier for me to use that set up than it is to use the lathe for boring.  I have a big C-clamp on the wall.  When I add a new blank to the wooden vice I slide that C-clamp on and give it one twist and that is it, the blank is locked in and the drill fluying through it.

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 12:02:42 PM »
If I keep doing my drilling on the drill press I will have to get another one. my press is small so I have to drill the first 1/4 inch or so with my blank on the base of the press then move the little vertical moving table around and drill the next 2 inches like that and the stroke on the press still isn't long enough so then I have to move the table up again to drill the last 3/4 inch. If that makes any sense at all lol. :huh:

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »
You only have a 2" stroke on your drill press?  I've used boards stacked on the base of my drill press to get the blank just under the bit so I get the most out of one stroke.  Then, I'll either swing the table around and finish drilling or just run the blank up the bit by hand (probably not the safest approach...).

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 01:46:33 PM »
If I keep doing my drilling on the drill press I will have to get another one. my press is small so I have to drill the first 1/4 inch or so with my blank on the base of the press then move the little vertical moving table around and drill the next 2 inches like that and the stroke on the press still isn't long enough so then I have to move the table up again to drill the last 3/4 inch. If that makes any sense at all lol. :huh:
Be it I am the son of a true American Picker I haggle, for everything.  I hit city wide garae sales looking for items I can flip for profit.  I found a cast iron drill press made sometime in the 50s or 60s.  To save the long story of the haggle, I'll just say I waled away from the haggle at $30 for the press and the stand.  The press weighs about 250 pounds.  It has plenty of power and plenty of throw in it.  The point is there are deals out there all day long for not a lot of cash.  Craigslist is another good source for that kind of equipment.

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 09:57:54 PM »
Ill have to check craigslist and see whats there. Thanks guys!

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »

You are following the same path as many folks before you. We've all had a drill press that didn't have enough of a throw, and had to upgrade drill presses to one with a longer throw. Luckily, those drill presses do exist. Unfortunately, they aren't very cheap unless you happen to stumble upon a deal. But the deals are out there if you are patient.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 09:09:33 AM »
Ill have to check craigslist and see whats there. Thanks guys!

What part of the country are you from?

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2014, 09:11:10 AM »
If you are in Texas then here you go

http://houston.craigslist.org/tls/4415933065.html

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2014, 11:33:42 AM »
I'm from NC

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

Offline deathdealercalls

• New Forum Member
  • ghadder1959@gmail.com
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2014, 03:13:09 PM »
I drill all my holes on a lathe and havent had a prob yet. We drill all acrylic. Start out with a small bit first.
George Hadder