Author Topic: 5/8 bore question  (Read 6149 times)

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
5/8 bore question
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:17:52 PM »
I have had some trouble in the past drilling holes in my acrylic blanks and getting them to be exactly 5/8. Sometimes they are a little bit over 5/8 so I can't us my expanding arbor to turn  the blank. Would drilling the hole 1/64 under and then using a reamer to open it up make the bore more accurate?

Andrew-Brown

Re: 5/8 bore question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:33:23 PM »
I know some guys do this.  I have the same issue after moving to drilling on the lathe.   Others have told me to switch to a smaller drill bit. cant remember the size off the top of my head, I still need to order one.

Andrew-Brown

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 01:34:28 PM »

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Sounds like you have a run out problem.  You solved part of the solution with the smaller drill bit, all you need to do is get a 5/8" reamer to ream it to size.  A 39/64" bit should do it.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:59:53 PM »

It would be ok to run a reamer through the opaque acrylics. But don't do it on translucent acrylics. The reamer will leave small/tiny cracks in the bore that resemble crazing marks.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »
I have been using a drill press for drilling. Would it be more accurate to use the lathe to drill or should I just go ahead and get a 1/64 undersized bit?

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 04:44:21 PM »
And one more question. Is there anything better about an expandable mandrel than an expanding arbor? Other than an arbor being cheaper lol

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 05:26:36 PM »
The lathe will stop most of the run out. I have both types of mandrels  and either work fine for me.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »
If the bit you are using drills oversize holes on the drill press, then it will likely drill oversize on the lathe too. I'd first buy a good silver and demming drill bit in 5/8" and try again on the drill press.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:11:16 PM »
Is silver and demming better than a bit from web foot? I noticed Wade sells them too.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:01:02 PM »
Acrylic-specific bits like Wade sells are the best for acrylic, no doubt about it.  I would never run a reamer through acrylic personally.  That idea just scares me to death.  How you start your hole will make or break how good your hole is.  If the bit wobbles going in at first, it'll be an oblong hole and somewhat oversized in a lot of cases.  I always make a small starting dimple with a parting tool or round scraper so the bit centers perfectly on the blank, and carefully control the feed of the bit as it enters the workpiece so the center of the hole and the center of the bit are totally concentric.  I have a lot more problems drilling wood than acrylic it seems! 

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »
If I get a bit from wade. Would you guys suggest I get a 5/8 or 1/64 under a 5/8

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »

If you get a bit from Wade, get a 5/8" bit.

Brian

Offline Michael Ferguson

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 07:44:06 PM »
Alright thanks guys I'll try these things and see if they fix my problem.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 08:00:25 PM »
Id say there is just as good a chance that an oversize hole is caused by run out on the chuck/drill as it is by the grind on the drill.

One can grind a drill to purposefully go oversize, and even undersize in some cases.  Ive fought that a lot with the drills Ive been getting lately for the acrylic drills I have ground.  Its pretty obvious to the guy I have grinding them for me. (He walks me through the happenings, so I have info to go back to the drill supplier with).  and its amazing how often the drills are not ground properly.... well.. I cant say that... they are ground properly for the accuracy intended for a twist drill.  But for the uses many call makers are needing them for... it gets kinda "dramafied"

Technically (at least this is what I am told and have read)... a twist drill (jobber type) are considered "within spec" if they drill +8% of the diameter / -0 - so in the case of a 5/8" (.625") drill... 8% is 0.050" :-O  so in the eyes of many of the drill makers, unless youre paying big bucks for a drill, you can easiliy expect to see .005-.010" oversize which is enough to mess with a guy and his mandrel - though .005 and even .010 can be handled by the mandrels I carry, but its on the edge of comfort. 

Drills are NOT a high accuracy method of hole making.  And it shows in the manufacture of them.  Asymmetrical flutes, bowed from internal stresses, run out, axial misalighment, improper feeds and speeds all contribute to an oversized hole.  And this has really been in the spot light with our acrylic drills.  Which is why I have my grinder check the holes produced, and I have pretty tight tolerances on him...  so our drills end up doing quite well in acrylic... but they arent really all that well suited for wood.  So far, on .750 and under drills, we've been able to keep hole tolerances to +.003/-0.000... but there is no way those drills would do that until my guy has repointed them and corrected the inconsistencies.

Reamers CAN work in acrylic... but it aint easy and not pleasant... and quite messy.  Not to mention you need a lathe or drill press that will go VERY slow and have a 39/64 drill that goes over size a bit, but not quite to .625".  I used to use em all the time, but to keep the crazing and heat down you had to be super slow and careful... to the point, I spend my money on a metal lathe to avoid using the reamers on acrylic anymore.  A boring bar on a metal lathe, with acrylic... is your friend.  And a perfect excuse for more toys :D  But not something everyone can get... which is why I started the research on the drills I sell now....  for acrylic.  If youre doing a bunch of acrylic bores, get a metal lathe and boring bar... youll thank yourself.  But if you dont do much in the way of acrylic barrels, its probably not worth it unless you already have one.

Anyway... thought Id throw some of that out there in hopes it would  help explain a bit of what people are seeing with drills.

Cheers
Wade

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D