Author Topic: toneboard  (Read 4174 times)

Offline G.Robinson

• New Forum Member
toneboard
« on: April 06, 2014, 09:55:21 PM »
Hey guys Im new to all this predator call making,  I have spent most of my time making duck and turkey calls but I have a question maybe some of you can chime in on .  When making the TB for predator calls I see most of the have a o ring or a band or some sort on them .  Is it possible to make closed reed predator calls with a insert like a duck call with a cork slot and reed ? would it work ?

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
Re: toneboard
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 07:31:17 AM »
It surely is. Olt company and a few others made them years ago and I'm sure they are making them today too. I think Al sells some guts that will work for that purpose and if not I have some and I can send you a few set for what I paid for them to get you started. Basically it's a 1/2" size gut tone board short reed 10mm. The gut tone board is only about 1" long and sloped at the end. You can also tune them for a good speck call.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Prairie Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 07:34:34 AM »
I just looked and Al has them they are listed as the woodpecker call kit. That is the gut to use for a closed reed pred.

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Rick Howard

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:28:04 PM »
Are you asking if you can make your own toneboard for an enclosed reed?  Yes.  You can do that too.  A cork notch will work.  Or a o-ring.  I used heat shrink on some.  I put the project down to pursue other things but,  I was working on making my own enclosed reed toneboard.
In life or anything worth partaking, if you have stopped trying to improve you have quit.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:07:19 PM »
I have been making closed reed predator call toneboards for over 30 years.  A couple have been poste on THO, search back the beginning of the forum and look forward in time.  I use both Louisiana and Arkansas style boards.

My advice is buy a T20 PS Olt and take it a part as your first project.  It will save you a lot of time and headaches to have it as a "blueprint" of what you are trying to do.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Wane

• New Forum Member
Wane

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »
I think we are talking about an open reed call.   The "band" is actually a castration band used to hold the reed to the tone board.   They can also be made with a cork or rubber wedge, and some use a plastic wedge as well.   The thing to keep in mind with the cork or rubber wedges is the difference between how a predator call and a duck call are "played".    With an open reed predator call, you are actually putting your lips on the reed.   The wedges sometimes do not hold well, and cause the reed to change positions, which of course affects the sound.   If you have a gentle style of blowing a call, you can probably get away with the wedge.   But if your calling style is more aggressive, you will want something that will hold the reed more firmly to the tone board.   There are some other nuances that come into play with how the reed is held in position as well.   You do need something to hold the reed tighter than you would normally find on a duck call.

Al @ THO Game Calls