Author Topic: Cutting Toneboards on a Wooden Jig  (Read 5715 times)

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls Facebook Page
Cutting Toneboards on a Wooden Jig
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
Seems to have been several posts lately regarding toneboard jigs and a few specific to wooden jigs.  Iíve used a wooden jig since I started making duck calls over a year ago and thought Iíd share how my process has evolved.  Iím sure there are better ways to do this and I hope others will chime in with their methods and thoughts for improvement.  This post is probably targeting the new guys who have yet to invest in a custom hardened jig.

Hereís my wooden jig (made out of walnut) and a pecan toneboard ready for cutting.

I lay the toneboard in the jig and trace the shape onto the tenon.  I have markings on each side of the jig to show where the cork notch will be.

To mark the top of the cork notch, I just roll the insert in the jig and mark the line that will indicate the top of the cork notch.

Next, I lay the precut cork on the jig and mark the thickness.  I do this on both sides of the tenon.

The insert now has the toneboard curvature and cork notch fully marked and is ready to cut on the bandsaw.

I made a flat jig out of scrap pine that I use to hold the insert square to the bandsaw while cutting.  I simply put on an o-ring and push the insert into the flat jig.

I donít let the bandsaw blade touch the flat jig when cutting.  My goal is to just cut it square and remove as much material as possible to reduce the amount of filing later.  I cut down the length of the toneboard first and then cut at the top cork notch line.  Then I finish out the cork notch using the markings made earlier.

I remove the insert from the flat jig and then freehand cut the tip of the toneboard.  Again, Iím just removing material to reduce the amount of filing needed.

Hereís the insert back in the wooden jig.  As you can see, there is still a lot of work left to do.

I use an adhesive sanding disc stuck to the faceplate on my lathe to do most of the shaping from here.  Using the lines I drew earlier, I sand at low speed until Iím close to the pencil marks.  This removes material faster than hand filing.

Once Iím close on the shape, I switch to filing by hand to fine tune the shape of the toneboard and cork notch.

Iím constantly putting the insert back into the wooden jig to see which areas need more sanding/filing.  As you can see, Iíve still got a bit more filing to do on this one to get the toneboard flush with the wooden jig.

Thatís about it.  Comments/questions welcome.

Offline Prairie Game Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Prairie Calls
Re: Cutting Toneboards on a Wooden Jig
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 01:01:41 PM »
Really nice job putting that together for us   :thanks:

Larry
July Winner Of the Call Makers Throw Down!!
Listed in Earl Mickels Last Book
Silver Life Member NWTF

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:15:24 PM »
Thanks James... very well put together. Appreciated!
Kevin

Offline FS Custom Calls

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 04:14:50 PM »
Man now that it straight cool.  I don't think I have the patience for that but that is really awesome!
Thor

Offline Bob Palmer

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:28 AM »
That's a good idea! Thansk!

Offline dogcatcher

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 05:21:47 PM »
As innovative as you are, I expect you will go a long ways in the callmaking world.  GREAT JOB!!!

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 06:02:23 PM »
Thanks for the comments and encouragement, guys. 

Thor - I'm sure this approach is a bit slower than using a hardened jig.  Guess that's why I don't turn out that many calls!

Marvin - Appreciate the kind words.  Necessity truly IS the mother of invention!

Offline AS@Smith Crafters

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Smith Crafters
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
Thanks I've made two calls so far, I just got them done this week. I've made a few with tone board and reed inserts you buy and then just turn the outside so you basically end up with two barrels, but this is way better. I hamd cut them since I don't have a band saw at my house yet. I was wondering how I was going to get a jig , ade myself that I wouldn't ruin, and this is perfect. Just run it through the process of hand sanding and filing. You're a genius, or I'm to dumb to think of that one.
Art is in the eye of the beholder. My eyes are great.

Offline James Strickland

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 09:57:14 AM »
Welcome to the forum, AS.  Glad you found this helpful.

Offline Cwoolcock

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 02:22:03 PM »
Awesome write up! I have been toying with the idea of making my own tone boards! Definitely saving this one!