Author Topic: Slap vs Vibrates the Videos  (Read 13277 times)

Offline FS Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Slap vs Vibrates the Videos
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 12:53:43 PM »
Just to be the  :pot:, have you ever put chapstick on your toneboard to keep it from sticking?  Does the end or the reed make a mark in the chapstick?  Cheap way to put this to bed.  Or not.  Was great to watch the videos for sure.  Thanks a lot for showing them. :thanks:
Thor

Offline Doc Hull

• New Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »
I guess because this will be my first post on THO I should intro myself.  I am Dr. D.D. Hull, I am probably older than most and the only advantage of that is   

I forgot  ::)
I am a retired Dentist and Have done lots of things in my 88 years so far.
I have pursued this slap vs oscillate thing for a long time.  My idea about this started many years ago when I figured out that Mylar hitting the sound surface over time would surely wear out fairly quick.  I joined with five other call makers in 2006 or 7 to find some one to make a study of this and we were able to enlist a Physics Proff at Coe College in Cedar Rapids Iowa by the name of James Cottingham to do a study on how the sound is made in a duck call.
James Cottingham has published a number of studies involving reeded instruments sound over the years so he is a qualified expert.
Cottingham and his students published at least two articles on the duck call study and I have those findings in PDF files that I will make available to anyone who would like to see them.  Wade Carpenter and Stump both have these files too.
The published studies in 2008 established the conclusion that the reed does not contact the surface of the insert during sound production.   Instead if it does touch the surface the sound stops.
The reed oscillates at a very high frequency to produce the sound.
There will always be those who for some reason or other find it unbelievable that the reed does not slap.
I find it kind of interesting that many, if not most call makers have never understood the real production of the sound.
The question of why do we care and what will the information amount to.
The answer to that is if we understand sound production then we may be able to figure out how to make it better and how we can be more consistent in what we do.  :stickman1: :beer: :bigup:

bloodbrothercalls

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »
 :bow: Doc thanks so much for sharing your wisdom, I'm guessing many of us (including myself) would be interested to read the document, it sounds very detailed! Thank you for offering to share this !!

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:09 PM »
Doc......

It was and always will be my pleasure to work with you and talk on the phone sir.  You have a wealth of knowledge that I envy!!!!!!

As Doc stated, there have been some that have looked very deeply into the operational characteristics of a duck call.  Curiosity for some and a need to know for others.  I personally love details, science and math and that is what led me to getting involved.   I do not like not knowing.  Through out the process I learned many new things and affirmed many of my thoughts.  But in the end...I became and am still becoming a better call maker and made some great friends.  A win win situation.
In the end, through Mr Cottinghams study and the high speed video, it is a scientific proven fact that the reed oscillates to produce sound.  The answer's are there and if one will truly take time to watch the videos there is alot to be learned about how a call works and what is needed to make a better call.

STUMP

www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2014, 05:20:53 PM »
 :clap:  X2!!

Doc......

It was and always will be my pleasure to work with you and talk on the phone sir.  You have a wealth of knowledge that I envy!!!!!!

As Doc stated, there have been some that have looked very deeply into the operational characteristics of a duck call.  Curiosity for some and a need to know for others.  I personally love details, science and math and that is what led me to getting involved.   I do not like not knowing.  Through out the process I learned many new things and affirmed many of my thoughts.  But in the end...I became and am still becoming a better call maker and made some great friends.  A win win situation.
In the end, through Mr Cottinghams study and the high speed video, it is a scientific proven fact that the reed oscillates to produce sound.  The answer's are there and if one will truly take time to watch the videos there is alot to be learned about how a call works and what is needed to make a better call.

STUMP
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline FS Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2014, 06:29:04 PM »
AND SO IT SLEEPS!!!  The chapstick trick lot cheaper than the study I bet though. :smartass:  Thanks doc and everyone who worked on this.  The video was cool for sure.
Thor