Author Topic: Slap vs Vibrates the Videos  (Read 13276 times)

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
Re: Slap vs Vibrates the Videos
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
Pretty conclusive to me.

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »
Some mouth calls are diaphragms?  Do they slap or vibrate?

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 02:27:16 PM »
Marvin that is an interesting tidbit.  I reckon I have not put enough thought into it.  I can't get past the tone change between material.  My calls are made the same way.  The wood calls are soft and quiet and my acrylics are nothing less than a strip of black cat firecrackers.  I was assuming the reed makes contact by slapping thus making the different sounds with different material.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »
I think it adds some confirmation to what I thought... but not high enough frame rate to be definitive.  Would have been interesting to see that with the reed lit up with a laser pointer... might have made it stand out more?  Who knows...   but I agree... it doesnt give a definitive answer.  Makes a guy wonder... with a 250 pps rate... how much more one would see at 2000 pps?    Fun stuff tho!  Thats fo sho!  :D

Marvin - you and your dang good examples...  blade of grass, turkey diaphragm... yer on fire!  :D

And to add to that...  Short reed goose calls...  when tuning a short reed gut set...  the front bit of the reed doesnt touch the board.  Its free... when the guts start to break in... you can more easily see where reed to board contact stop.  The high note is made when that reed lays down and the hinge point is way up front.  So, the reed cant be touching anything and yet still makes the high note.  Vibration or reed slap?   :pot:

Ron...  I think there is much more to material selection than people give credit to...  in terms of reflection/absorption.  I am only guessing/going with my gut... but Im betting if you made a megaphone out of walnut and acrylic... exact same sizes and measured with a decibel meter... you might find a similar happening.  Like screaming in a HS gym vs a HS auditorium?  Just thinking outloud.

Wade

www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »
Goose guts are a different animal you  :pot:.... But I agree the sound difference is caused by absorption/reflection instead of a reed slapping.  Guess its time to drag out the higher speed camera.  Anyone have one laying around?

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 04:51:42 PM »
 :devil2: :rofl:

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »
One day I decided to yell down a metal corridor and my buddy at the other end said "man that was loud, sounded like you were right in front of me.
The next day I decided to yell down a wooden corridor and my buddy at the other end said "man that was a little mellow, sounded like you were a good hundred yards away.

Ayyyy I told him it must have been his ears. :stickman1:

STUMP

www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• New Forum Member
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 05:26:56 PM »
Goose guts are a different animal you  :pot:.... But I agree the sound difference is caused by absorption/reflection instead of a reed slapping.  Guess its time to drag out the higher speed camera.  Anyone have one laying around?

I have a camera phone.  ::)

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »

I have a camera phone.  ::)

Go Pro hero 3. It has a slow mo option. I think. Haven't really figured this  thing out yet.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »
Pretty interesting videos. Alot of effort went into the project for sure. My question now is this, (and I agree with Joe Short's answer to the question of vibrate versus slap being "yes"), is anyone actually contemplating changing the way they make thier tone boards as a result of these videos?  Although what I saw in the videos was interesting, the answer of slap vs. vibration is no closer to being solved.

Jeff
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »
If it does not touch the toneboard then what difference would the shape of the toneboard make?

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 10:42:59 AM »
If it does not touch the toneboard then what difference would the shape of the toneboard make?

Directed air flow.   Just like blowing across a 22 shell to make it whistle...  has to be just right for the whistle.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 10:56:35 AM »
Pretty interesting videos. Alot of effort went into the project for sure. My question now is this, (and I agree with Joe Short's answer to the question of vibrate versus slap being "yes"), is anyone actually contemplating changing the way they make thier tone boards as a result of these videos?  Although what I saw in the videos was interesting, the answer of slap vs. vibration is no closer to being solved.

Jeff

The frame rate doesnt appear to be high enough to see what I was hoping we might see (as a side benefit of the video to answer the slap/air gating makes the sound question).   But it does allow a better focus on where the hinge point is.  The down side, you dont know what the sound was at that time (pitch) to use it to its advantage, nor if the reed would operate that way when air is presented to it in terms of "proper air" to make the sounds that it was intended to make, the way it was intended to make them.

In the end... it probably creates more questions for me than answers... but sure is nifty any one way or another.   Maybe Ill win the lottery and buy a camera so I can do all sorts of tests and tinkerings :D

Wade

BLKDOGS

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 12:37:32 PM »
Thanks every one for the messages. texts and your welcome everyone.

It was a fun project and glad to be able to do it. Just wondering if any of you tried to start and stop the videos and really video #4. Double click, start stop speed till the counter reaches 12. Watch that reed go down, down, down, and almost touches but it does get a bit blurry, then shoots up so fast and vibrates there. Watch the scale in video 3 and when it starts and when its running you will see the reed doesn't touch the tone board. Just wish its was more clear.

Thanks again   Glad i could try. This is the best we could do for free.
If we get a bigger better camera system i will let you all know. Dont hold your breath

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 12:48:14 PM »
You da man Ron!!! Thanks a ton!

...Just wondering if any of you tried to start and stop the videos and really video #4. Double click, start stop speed till the counter reaches 12. Watch that reed go down, down, down, and almost touches but it does get a bit blurry, then shoots up so fast and vibrates there. Watch the scale in video 3 and when it starts and when its running you will see the reed doesn't touch the tone board. Just wish its was more clear.
:bigup: