Author Topic: Using thinner as a carrier  (Read 2596 times)

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
Using thinner as a carrier
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:52:13 PM »
I have never been able to get the teak oil to soak into the more dense woods like walnut ect.  I tried an experient and used paint thinner to reduce the viscosity of the teak, using the thinner as a carrier of the teak oil.  I think it worked very well.  I have been using teak as a base and tung to finish the call.  I will post back if I have problems with the thinned teak oil procedure.

Offline Jeff @ Mutt Calls

• New Forum Member
  • MUTT Game Calls
Re: Using thinner as a carrier
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:41:25 AM »
Not sure why you are having issues with Teak Oil with Black Walnut?  Black Walnut is not a very dense wood comparatively to many other woods.  What is your method for applying?  Are you soaking?  Are you hand rubbing?  I simply apply mine on the lathe for the 1st coat and let it soak/dry for 30 minutes. After that, I hand rub a few more coats and allow 10-15 minutes of wet time before I wipe & buff.

I don't think you should be having issues with Teak Oil and Walnut but your repair option with thinner is interesting.

Mutt
For it is in the Woods, Fields, & Marshes that Retrievers make thier own legends... and become our heroes!

muttcalls@gmail

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 10:46:32 AM »
It was painting it on and letting sit for a while then buffing it off.  I then switched to soaking it.  I accidentally left a call in the oil bath for 24 hours and it seemed to have penetrated much better that way.  That is what gave me the idea to search for a better mode of application.

I have learned chemicals work better with a carrier.  For instance I work in a crime lab.  We heat CA (super glue) in a chamber for a specified time.  The glue turns to vapor and adheres to the matrix of a fingerprint before anything else in the chamber.  Now the fingerprint is affixed permanently.  You can powder it and tape lift the print. You can re-powder it over and over again.

We also dye stain the prints with a flourescent stain.  When the right wavelength from an alternate light source hits the stain it will luminesce.

The point being, is we have to use a carrier that will readily evaporate after it carries the stain into the super glue.  Usually that is methanol.  The methanol can easily penetrate the super glued print, carrying with it the stain.  When you remove (Evaporate) the methanol then the stain remains behind.  This can only be done on non-pourus items.

The same thing with bio-diesel.  The methanol carries the chemical (Methoxide) to crack the molecular structure (Glycerin/ester) out of the oil and replaces it with a different ester(methanol). 

Carriers are used everday all over the world.  Used correctly a paint thinner will allow dry wood to accept paint deep into the pores of the wood, rather than sit on top of the wood when a thinner is not used.  I see no reason not to use a carrier with our application.

My calls are still on the rack drying.  I will check them out when I get home.  I will do a tester on some scrap pieces.  I will see the penetration depth with and without a carrier by cutting them open after a timed soaking event.

I intend to tung oil these calls to finish them.  I will probably go two or three coats witha good dry time and buff in between each coat.

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:22:21 AM »
I basically do the same with tung oil.  I use a citrus solvent as a thinner/carrier as opposed to a petroleum-based thinner just for safety, though in theory it shouldn't matter since the thinner evaporates off.  I start with a 75% solvent 25% tung oil mix for my first coat or dip... second coat or dip is 50/50... third is 25/75... fourth and beyond 100% tung oil.  At each stage if the mix has fully soaked in within 45 mins to an hour, it gets a another treatment of same.  Otherwise I wipe off the excess and let it sit 20-24 hours before the next stage.

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 11:31:24 AM »
WEll there you are, Henry has finished a race we are talking about starting.  Thank you Henry.  Good information about the varrying percentages.

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 11:40:14 AM »

I have learned chemicals work better with a carrier.  For instance I work in a crime lab.  We heat CA (super glue) in a chamber for a specified time.  The glue turns to vapor and adheres to the matrix of a fingerprint before anything else in the chamber.  Now the fingerprint is affixed permanently.  You can powder it and tape lift the print. You can re-powder it over and over again.

Small world... I do too

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:36:59 PM »

Small world... I do too
Kewl!  I got CSI back up in here now :)