Author Topic: pressure pot question  (Read 8199 times)

bkjohnson

pressure pot question
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »
I am interested in casting some of my own blanks.  What does a person have to do to make a pressure pot ready for casting.  These are paint pots, what "modifications" have to be done?  I am assuming plugging holes where the paint lines would come out.  Any insight would help. 

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
Re: pressure pot question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:28:39 PM »
Hi bk - What you are trying to do is to bring the pressure in the pot up to about 60lbs and hold it.

I've modified three now and I start by taking all the parts off from the inside and the outside.  I use one of the available "ports" for the pressure relief valve, and another port for a "tree" that has an air hose connector, a shut off valve and a pressure gauge.  If there are any more "ports" I plug them with metal screw in plugs.  All of the connections are sealed with 8 turns of Teflon tape.  I usually put a 90 degree elbow on the inside of the lid where the air comes in, so that the air is deflected to the side and doesn't blow your resin out of your molds.

I hope this helps, let me know if I can help more.

Happy turning
Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

bkjohnson

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 09:42:32 PM »
Tom, thanks for the information.  This is what I was assuming that needed done. 

For clarification, do you remove the regulator and replace that assembly with the "tree"?   Or is the regulator still used? 

Thanks again for the help. 

Offline Brannon @ Southern Flight Calls & Lanyards

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 10:42:57 PM »
Where the "T" is at on mine, it has a relief valve on one side and on the other side it has a nipple, valve and air connection. Then I have a pressure gauge in the other hole in top of my pot. I just use a Harbor Freight pot and it works great so far. I just left the regulator off and didnt use it.

bkjohnson

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 11:06:45 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  You have been confirming what I thought to be true.  I have decided to dive into casting my own blanks.  I have ordered a pot and ordered some alumilite.  I can't wait to give it a try. 

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »
Alumilite has worked great for me so far. I just started about a month ago. I made my own barrel molds and insert molds from PVC, but I just had a new aluminum mold made for my insert casting, plan to try it out this weekend.

Offline Tom Hamilton

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 12:47:15 PM »
I don't use the regulator, that's removed.

I use Alumilite too.  I started casting a year ago.  I just got a pair of silicone molds done for Duck calls, I'm working on my first set of castings from them now.

It's too late now, but do you guys know about Alumilite's 20% discount through the month of February?  It's part of the http://www.penturners.org/ "February Bash"?

Happy Turning
Tom
Happily Turning on my Robust S16LB & General 25-200

President of the Badger Woodturners

"There is no failure except in no longer trying. "
~ Elbert Hubbard

bkjohnson

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 07:57:09 PM »
I would like to know more about your molds.  If anyone is willing to share how to make molds, sizes and supplies used to make them or where you got them from, I would appreciate it.  If this is a big secret then I apologize for asking.  I hate reinventing the wheel, so to say.

I appreciate all of the information that you guys have shared.     :thanks:

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 10:43:07 PM »
I just made mine from 1.5" PVC. I took the PVC and cut them just a little longer than the length I wanted my molds to be. I then took some 1.5" PVC test caps I found at lowes and drilled a 5/8" hole in the center of them on my lathe. Then I took some 5/8" Delrin Rod and cut approx 1" longer than my molds and glued them in the hole in the test caps. This makes my center hole in my mold so I dont have to drill my barrel blanks. I put the test cap with the delrin rod in the bottom and use masking tape to help seal it up.  To keep the delrin centered in the mold I use another test cap drilled to 5/8' and put it on the top of the mold after I pour.  I use mold release and everything comes out of the mold clean and easy. As for the insert I just pour a 5" x 1.5" blank out of 1.5" pvc and turn it down to size.  I hope all of this makes sense.... If you go over to Facebook and go to my page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Southern-Flight-Lanyards/526903447388179?ref=hl you will see some pics of some of my blanks and my calls. I can send you some pics of my molds by text if you want to send me a # to text them to....    I am still learning but this is what has worked for me so far...