Author Topic: Massey Finish Tutorial  (Read 40021 times)

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
Massey Finish Tutorial
« on: March 14, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
Here is a tutorial on how I do the Massey Finish on my calls. I am in no way the master of this, in fact it is very new to me but I thought it would be good to share what I do know. I'm really enjoying this finish and I haven't run into many drawbacks as far as I can see. One thing that I did find is that the finish doesn't really take or start to show nicely until about the 3rd or 4th coat, depending on the type of wood. The first 2 or even 3 coats can look uneven or blotchy even. But if you stick with it by the 4th coat you should get a nice gloss and then if you choose to put a 5th coat on it only seems to get better. I think its because on different parts of the wood the grain tends to absorb more in certain places. This is an epoxy finish and from what I've read it's durable and protects the wood well. One thing I would like to add... Acetone is not healthy to breath or even get on your skin, it is very flammable and should be used safely. If you try this please make sure you are in a well ventilated area even if it seems that there is not much of a smell and always wear latex gloves.

Here is what you will need. Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy (the slow drying epoxy not the 5 minute), Acetone, a glass jar with a lid to seal the mixture, Latex Gloves, some cut up lint free rags or tshirt that is clean, and some 0000 super fine steel wool.

Mix the Epoxy and the Acetone in the glass jar, approximately 1 part epoxy to 6 parts Acetone. This is not a precise measurement and when I do this I just eyeball it pretty close. In the following pic you can see the epoxy at the bottom of the Acetone.

I use a wooden dowel to stir the epoxy and dissolve it into the Acetone. Make sure you dissolve it all until it looks as clear as water. If you feel you didn't put enough epoxy in you can add more and stir it in again.

Then put the lid on the container. I go so far as to put a clamp on the lid until I am ready to use it. Supposedly you can store this mixture for approximately a week if it is sealed but I've never mixed more than what I need in a day or two.

I have made a lot of these 5/8 dowels turned down so I can put finish on the end of the barrel without gluing it to the dowel. The next 3 pics demonstrate how I use them.

When you are ready open the epoxy mix and, with gloves on your hands, dip the cotton cloth into the mixture making sure to soak the cloth well. I run my lathe at it's slowest setting 500 rpm.

Start at one end of the part and move to the other end. You don't have to go fast just an even fluid motion but don't go back if you miss something just keep going. I'll explain why in the next pic after this.

If you notice in the following picture as I am about half way across the part the mouth piece end of the barrel where I started is already starting to dry. The Acetone is already evaporated leaving the sticky epoxy there. If you try to go back over this you just end up smearing the epoxy and messing up your finish. This is why you start at one end and finish on the other without going back.

Make sure you put the lid back on the Acetone mixture.

Place the call somewhere to dry or if you are only doing one barrel leave it on the lathe to dry. I have been letting mine dry for about 1 1/2 hours just to make sure it is good and dry. Climate may affect the dry time as well.

When the part is good and dry use some 0000 super fine steel wool and give it a good going over and then either use air or a clean cloth and make sure it is clean.

Then grab another clean cloth and repeat the process until you have the gloss finish you want. Like I said I have found that the first few coats it almost seems that the wood absorbs and it can look uneven. Then by the 4th coat you should have a nice gloss finish that is very durable and protects the wood well.

I finished 22 barrels today using this finish. The following barrel has 4 coats on it. I actually dropped the barrel in this tutorial on the bench and a bunch of dust and wood chips stuck to the finish so it will have to be cleaned up and finished again. So I'll use this one that was also finished today. Not the greatest pic but you can see it has a nice gloss finish. And yes it's dry. Hope this helps... Enjoy.

Just a side note, the finish "inventor", Jay Massey, was a genuinely gifted, talented and nationally known bowhunter that specialized in primitize style bow making and hunting. Cool guy! He passed away after a labored battled with cancer about 10 years back. He was still very much young when he passed. He authoured 4 books: "A Thousand Campfires", "Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", "The Bowyer's Craft", and "The Book of Primitive Archery". His hunting took place in the extreme conditions of Alaska. If the finsh was good enough for his self made bows in that environment, it should certainly be suitable for game calls :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 02:59:43 PM by Vince at VECtor Calls »
Kevin

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Massey Finish Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 11:58:30 PM »
IMPRESSIVE tutorial!!! :bigup: That was incredibly thorough and clear. Heck, I feel like going in the shop right now and giving it a try (and when I get some slow epoxy I will)! Thanks and respect ~Andre'

Offline Barry @ WildThings

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wild Things Taxidermy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:05:06 AM »
Great tutorial Kevin Thanks.
Couple questions please
Where are you getting this epoxy? and what size?
How much are you mixing for 1 call? guessimate?
Does that amount stay OK in the jar the entire 6 hours you're coating the call or do u mix more?

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:16:39 AM »
Barry... you can buy this epoxy at any hardware store that sells epoxy, at least around here you can. I get it at Ace Hardware. Not sure I understand the size question but if you're referring to the epoxy it only come in one size in the double tube and it costs about $5. You just push both plungers into the mixture. As far as the baby food jar full that I have in the tutorial it lasted for 2 coats on 22 barrels and I had to make another batch. If I was doing one call I would probably use about a quarter size amount of epoxy and 6 times that Acetone. Supposedly if you keep it sealed this will last about a week but I never mix more than I need at the time. I always put the lid back on when I am not using it and it keeps just fine while I am waiting for the calls to dry, I've never even had to re-stir it because once the epoxy is dissolved it seems to stay that way. Just make sure you have a clean jar each and every time you mix a batch. I tried using a jar that I had used previously and I seemed to get a lot of floaties in there... not sure if it was the old epoxy or what. I just keep all the jars I can. Salsa jars, baby food jars... etc.
Kevin

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:18:49 AM »
Thanks Andre... Make sure you post a pic when you try it.
Kevin

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • Custom Call Maker
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 12:29:54 AM »
Awesome, awesome, awesome tutorial!  Time will tell, but I think you're really on to something with this finish.  All the good looks of CA but I'm betting it is a whole lot more flexible and probably more durable.  Thanks for taking the time to show it to us.

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 12:33:45 AM »
Thanks Aaron I don't know if it is as nice as that CA that you do. I do know that it's better than the CA that I do.
Kevin

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• Custom Call Maker
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 12:40:41 AM »
Can this finish be buffed for an even shinier look?

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 12:41:15 AM »
Freaking sweet man.  Way to push the limits and try something different!

Where did you pick this up?  Pen turners, bowl turners?

Vince
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 12:57:56 AM »
Jared... I did try buffing it and it seemed to take some of the shine out of it if anything. But someone that is better at buffing might get a different result. I may have been pushing too hard.
Kevin

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 01:01:12 AM »
Thanks Vince... I was actually scanning some old posts here on THO and one of the posts mentioned something about the Massey finish so I just did some research. Bow makers seem to use this finish on the hand made long bows. Also this finish is nice as a matte finish after a few coats if you leave it after the steel wool.
Kevin

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 01:37:48 AM »
How are you doing the inside of the call part/parts?

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »
How are you doing the inside of the call part/parts?

Vince

Well not that this is the best way and maybe someone has a better idea but I've been using qtips to do the inside... I keep going back to the acetone mixture often to keep the qtip soaked as I do them so the cotton doesn't start sticking and pull away from the tip.
Kevin

Offline VECtor Calls

• Custom Call Maker
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:33 AM »
Sounds like a plan to me. ;)

Vince

VECtor Custom Calls

Offline Barry @ WildThings

• Custom Call Maker
    • Wild Things Taxidermy
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 10:02:35 AM »
Kevin thanks for answering my questions so thoroughly. It's exactly what I was asking!!

Barry