Author Topic: Massey Finish Tutorial  (Read 32743 times)

Offline Wane

• Custom Call Maker
Re: Massey Finish Tutorial
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2014, 06:04:23 PM »
I know I asked if other epoxy would work, then I remember that when I was doing model airplanes some of my flying Buddy's used to mix epoxy with alcohol to coat the inside of the engine compartment to keep the fuel from soaking into the wood. So as an experiment I am going to try that as I don't have an exhaust fan in my shop to get rid of the nasty fumes from the acetone. I will let you know how it works as soon as I have the time to try it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:24:11 PM by Wane »
Wane

Offline Kevin @ Harvester Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 12:31:17 AM »
Just a side note, the finish "inventor", Jay Massey, was a genuinely gifted, talented and nationally known bowhunter that specialized in primitize style bow making and hunting. Cool guy! He passed away after a labored battled with cancer about 10 years back. He was still very much young when he passed. He authoured 4 books: "A Thousand Campfires", "Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers", "The Bowyer's Craft", and "The Book of Primitive Archery". His hunting took place in the extreme conditions of Alaska. If the finsh was good enough for his self made bows in that environment, it should certainly be suitable for game calls :)

Awesome information Bob!... I heard mention of his name during my research on the finish but never did research the man himself. So I've been wondering if anyone out there has tried it and had any good results with this finish. Those 22 barrels I did had 5 coats and when they dried they have the nicest clear coat finish that Ive seen yet, aside from the glass CA finish that some of you guys can make happen. I'm definitely hooked on this finish though.
Kevin

Offline Bob Palmer

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2014, 07:57:58 AM »
Jay was a great person. I had dinner with him once and talked to him on the phone a time or too. Very gerenous guy! Talented craftsman and it was really cool finding his finish has tranistioned into call making! I bet he would be impressed!

Offline David @ Mad Duck Game Calls

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2014, 10:10:54 PM »
One other thing about this finish that makes it better. I soaked the call in teak oil for a day, when it dried I applied the finish and it worked! It has been about 2 days now and it is still holding together!

David
David
-------------------------------------------------------
"If you want me to agree with you, I can, but then we'd both be wrong" 
-------------------------------------------------------

Mad Duck Game Calls Facebook Page

Mad Duck Game Calls Website

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2014, 07:40:08 PM »
So messing with this finish a little more I would like to change the 6 to 1 ratio that is in this tutorial to about 4 to 1 ratio. It definitely makes a big difference. Adding more epoxy to the ratio leaves a nice coat of epoxy behind on each coat. I am finishing some calls now and I am on coat 2 and there is already a nice epoxy gloss forming. I still encourage steel wool between coats. So everything in the tutorial is good except the ratio. I will post the calls within the next week when I get some time to finish them.
Kevin

Offline CJohnston

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2014, 02:45:07 PM »
Kevin, do you recommend steel wool every layer, or just after the first layer? Should I just sand to knock lines and creases, or rough it up a little more? Thanks!!!
Last Pass Calls!!

• Tutorial Contributor
  • Custom Call Maker
  • Harvester Calls
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2014, 01:23:41 AM »
Kevin, do you recommend steel wool every layer, or just after the first layer? Should I just sand to knock lines and creases, or rough it up a little more? Thanks!!!

Sorry didn't see this last post so I'm a little late. I found that if you are using a dense wood like African Blackwood or Coco, etc. you don't have to steel wool until you are ready to put the last coat on. For me this is 4 coats. So on the 3rd coat I'll hit the call with super fine steel wool just to clean it up a bit and then the 4th coat usually lays nice. Also I'll usually let the 3rd coat dry overnight before I hit it with steel wool just so it has some hardness to the finish.
Kevin

Offline Chris Womack

• Custom Call Maker
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2016, 10:34:24 AM »
Has anyone tried using a heat gun after application while still spinning on the lathe to speed cure time?  I've done similar when applying a dye/thinner mix and the thinner dries almost immediately leaving a finished result.  I just don't know how the variable of epoxy would effect things but I know 2 part epoxy resin puts off ridiculous heat when curing so it gives me reason to believe a heat gun might help set it quick.