Author Topic: CCAA Fancy Call Contest - April 25th, 2014  (Read 3815 times)

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
CCAA Fancy Call Contest - April 25th, 2014
« on: March 06, 2014, 10:48:27 PM »
April 25th, 2014 is the date for this year's CCAA Fancy Call Contest in St.Charles, Illinois.  The CCAA holds 2 contests a year, and Working Call Contest judging the quality of sound production from a duck call in October at Reelfoot Lake, TN, and a Fancy Call Contest judging the quality of craftsmanship and artwork of the call at St.Charles, IL. 

For the contest at St.Charles, there are 3 classes, amateur, professional, and master.  For the amateur and professional classes, there are 6 divisions for the different types of calls.  Those divisions are:  Carved, Laminated, Checkered, Miniature, Matched Set, and Open.  If you are new to making calls, there's nothing to worry about when entering, as the amateur class calls are not judged against the professional class calls.

Awards - Ribbons are awarded to the First and Second place calls in each division for all classes.  The first place calls from the Amateur divisions are then judged against each other, and a Best of Class award is awarded to the top Amateur call.  Likewise, the first place calls from the Professional divisions are then judged against each other, and a Best of Class award is awarded to the top Professional call.  Once the two Best of Class calls are selected, they are judged against each other, and a Best of Show plaque is given to the winner.  In 2013, for the first time ever, the Amateur Best of Class call won the Best of Show award.  The Best of Show call and makers name will be featured on the yearly CCAA membership patch.  Other ribbons that are given out are Presidents Award, Design Award, and Merit Award.   

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Re: CCAA Fancy Call Contest - April 25th, 2014
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »
After several successful years of running the CCAA St.Charles Fancy Call Contest, Bob Wiseman has elected to retire from the position.  I have accepted the position of the Fancy Call Contest Coordinator for the next few years.  If you have any questions about the show, or any questions at all about the contest, feel free to ask me and I will answer as best as I can.  If you cannot attend the show and need someone to deliver your calls to the show, I will be happy to deliver them for you.

Entry fees are $10 per entry, and you must be a member of the CCAA to enter the contest.  The calls entered into the show are property of the call maker before and after the show.  It is not a requirement that the calls sell that are entered.  If you would like to sell the calls that you entered, there are avenues and collectors at the show that are always looking to buy calls.

For the complete set of rules and entry form for the show, visit  www.ccaacalls.org/rules.php

Thanks,
Brian Byers
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

BLKDOGS

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:56:28 AM »
Brian thanks for stepping up and running this.  I am sure your passion for making fancy calls had something to do with this.

I plan on attending and entering a couple calls. Hope to see ya there

:thanks:

Offline sesimmons

• New Forum Member
    • Simmons Custom Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:04:46 AM »
Brian,

YOU WILL NAIL THIS!!!!!!!!! :hammer:

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »

Just a reminder that the show is less than 2 weeks away now. If you need someone to deliver your calls to the show, I'd be glad to do that for you. I need the calls to arrive on Wednesday the 23rd or earlier.

Another part of the CCAA event in StCharles is a call auction on Thursday evening. There are lots of great calls in the auction this year. To view the calls in the auction, visit:
http://www.ccaacalls.org/auction.php

Brian

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 06:50:12 AM »
I shipped my entries off to Ron Gould this week.  I hope the show is a raging success! 
Thanks for taking it on.   :bigup: :beer:

Doug

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 10:43:05 PM »
Times a ticking.......get those calls finished up. :2up:  Man... lots a nice calls in the auction this year.
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 11:17:53 PM »
Very cool of you to take on such an important task B!  I hope everything goes well!
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline Bob from Eames Custom Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • Eames Custom Calls
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
I was hoping to get enough time to finish my calls for the contest this year, but it's looking like it's not going to happen :down1:

I'll just have to wait for the pictures of all of the killer calls and wish everyone the best.

Good luck all!

Bob
My biggest fear is that I'll die and my wife will sell my callmaking supplies for what I told her they cost.....

bcalls

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 07:10:06 AM »
Can't wait to see them all, gets better every year

Offline BigB

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »

For those attending the event, the Thursday pizza party/call auction and the Friday call judging/membership meeting will both be in the New Orleans ballroom.

Hope to see some familiar faces and to meet some new folks this year too.

I will be taking lots of pics from the show.

Brian

BLKDOGS

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
I am so pumped up to be going for the 1st time. My calls are ready and looking forward to meeting you guys.