Author Topic: Reed Slap vs Vibration  (Read 13686 times)

ben

Re: Reed Slap vs Vibration
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 10:07:23 AM »
My thought are that for the call to make a sound the reed has to close the end of the tone channel on the slope and then the vibration of the reed there after is the sound with the reed constantly closing and opening the channel hole amplifying the reed vibration for the sound we hear.

ben

Offline Crawdad

• New Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »
I don't have anything to say. :wacko:

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »
I sent an email to an expert, he said we were nuts to wonder why but here is his response. 

http://hendrix2.uoregon.edu/~dlivelyb/phys152/l12.html
Reeds: The sound source in a reed instrument is fundamentally different than that of a flute. Air is blow past a reed causing it to vibrate. Your textbook points out that the frequencies at which the reed vibrates are "considerably higher" than the sound frequencies created by the entire instrument. Blowing on the reed initially causes it to close (Bernouli effect), and a compressed air packet travels down the instruments bore to the bell end. The reflected pulse is a rarefication of air (what does this say about the boundary conditions at the bell end?), which travels back up and reflects off the reed. The rarefication travels back down the bore (what does this tell us about the bounary condition at the reed end?) and again reflects and reverses at the bell. The resulting compressed air packet travels back up the bore and opens up the reed to complete the cycle. This raises questions in my mind regarding the assertion that the reed vibrates several cycles during the time of this 4-trip process of air compressions and rarefications traveling up and down the instrument tube.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 04:39:44 PM »
a simple 'yes it touches' or 'no, it doesn't' would have been too easy   :stickman1:

Offline Joe aka COLD @ J. A. Kolter Calls

• New Forum Member
    • www.jakoltercalls.com
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 06:20:51 PM »
I don't have anything to say. :wacko:
I have plenty to say, but I will let the believer's and non-believer's say what they want.    ::)
J. A. KOLTER CALLS
"Lifetime custom made hunting calls for a reasonable price".

Offline gooseforsupper

• New Forum Member
    • Goose For Supper, Exotic Wood Goose Calls
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 07:05:40 PM »
Yep

BLKDOGS

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:01 AM »
Reeds: The sound source in a reed instrument is fundamentally different than that of a flute. Air is blow past a reed causing it to vibrate. Your textbook points out that the frequencies at which the reed vibrates are "considerably higher" than the sound frequencies created by the entire instrument. Blowing on the reed initially causes it to close (Bernouli effect), and a compressed air packet travels down the instruments bore to the bell end. The reflected pulse is a rarefication of air (what does this say about the boundary conditions at the bell end?), which travels back up and reflects off the reed. The rarefication travels back down the bore (what does this tell us about the bounary condition at the reed end?) and again reflects and reverses at the bell. The resulting compressed air packet travels back up the bore and opens up the reed to complete the cycle. This raises questions in my mind regarding the assertion that the reed vibrates several cycles during the time of this 4-trip process of air compressions and rarefications traveling up and down the instrument tube.

Marvin
[/quote]

So a reed instrument is like a 4 cycle internal combustion engine  :rofl: :rofl:  I kind of get what was said here.  :huh: :huh:

Update on this project. we will be looking at this one day next week. I have got some parts in and have been running some tests on sound and air flow. I think I have what will work and will continue the Fab of the set up over the next 3 days. I do believe that we will see what the reed is doing. My camera operator is confedent we will be able to slow it down enough to see if it does touch or not. More next week.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2014, 08:37:11 AM »

Ron, this is going to get very interesting in a couple of days. Thanks again for all the work you are putting into this.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
Interesting stuff. This throws a small wrench in my theorizing. It is very good information and seems that it could be the case in a duck call. The camera should give us the whole story. I am still working on additional testing to go through the cadence and toneboard variations questions. I have the resource tracked down, not it is just a matter of scheduling and funding. Not sure on either of these. More to come.
Chris Wright

Offline Andre's Wood Works aka: TheDecoyDude

• New Forum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2014, 12:45:54 AM »
I'm pretty excited to see what happens! I salute the effort you are putting into this and wish for best ~Andre'

Offline wlain

• New Forum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
I am in the "Reed slaps the toneboard" camp.

Offline M. Miller

• New Forum Member
    • M. Miller  Little Wing Duck Calls
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2014, 02:57:31 PM »
I sent an email to an expert, he said we were nuts to wonder why but here is his response. 

http://hendrix2.uoregon.edu/~dlivelyb/phys152/l12.html

Marvin

I am a music professor too and I don't find this to be a weird question or topic at all.The Bernoulli effect is produced, but some things need to be considered before one draws conclusion with operation.

1. A reed in a duck call is manipulated and placed differently than that of a clarinet, saxophone bassoon or oboe. The reed found on these instruments is outside of the instrument chamber, a duck call reed is inside. Historically, there were capped reed instruments, and are to this day (bagpipes). It is capped reed instrument that hold more related character in operation than the modern reed instruments found in an orchestra.

2. The reed material and overall length of a duck call reed creates far more pliability than that of a reed found on a reed instrument. Although the reed is shaven down on a reed instrument, it is far shorter in length and not as flexible as Mylar.

3. The mouth of the duck caller does not support the sound production on a duck call (it doesn't create contact with the reed at any point). A reed player's embouchure needs to be precise to produce quality tones.  One could say the ligature found on a reed instrument acts the same the function of the cork notch.

It is how the reed freely moves in the duck call that make all this interesting to me.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:07:55 PM by M. Miller »

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2014, 06:10:17 PM »
I am easily confused. I am curious as to how the results might help us make better calls? To quote Hillary, "At this point, what does it matter?". Not trying to start anything just wondering.

:eek:     :wacko:      :no:

Lon

Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2014, 06:52:35 PM »
My thought is, the more one knows about why and how something operates... the better they can manipulate it better it.
To me, if we find out the moving portion of the reed does or does  not contact the surface, that might help focus on the right area to achieve a specific sound or quality.   In addition what ever other info might be gleaned from seeing the reed in motion may prove to be as or even more useful.

I guess I look at it in terms of constant improvement.  Maybe it will help, maybe it will be a waste of time.  But should be interesting one way or another :D

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Longntooth

• New Forum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
I too am very anxious to hear the results of the filming. Over the years I have taught several folks how to use a duck call. I have always considered them to be a "musical" instrument with a reed in it. Not a reeded musical instrument, because there is a big difference as pointed out. The term "blow a duck call" should never be used, because you "blow a New Years EveWhistle". My point is that in order to get the sound we all are looking for, you don't "blow" air across the reed, you "force" air across the reed by pushing air from the diaphragm across the reed, causing it to vibrate and make that sweet sound of a hen Mallard with an acorn stuck in her throat, IMHO, and THIS is why I want to know if it slaps or not. Because as Wade says, it could give us info to improve the quality of our craft . Kitch
Take your kids hunting, instead of hunting for your kids