Author Topic: Reed Slap vs Vibration  (Read 13688 times)

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
Re: Reed Slap vs Vibration
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 08:06:17 PM »
I have a feeling that it's going to be tough to pull this off. But I'm glad you are trying

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
If needed I can provide a flam polished clear barrel and a black insert call.

Stump
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2014, 09:12:59 PM »
If the powers that be - that control the camera, need a little green to show appreciation, let me know Im in for that as well.

Chris...  I almost guarantee it will be tough...   Id imagine its one of the reasons there isnt a definitive answer already out there on youtube ;D
But I think it will be well worth it!  Been wanting/trying to get this done for many years now...   maybe it will actually pan out!

Im almost giddy  :gitrdone:
Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

BLKDOGS

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2014, 10:02:15 PM »
Thanks for all the offers and words of encouragement. The more I have thought about The more I get nervous  :sweatdrop: :sweatdrop:
This is my plan right know. I will have to keep this short and sweet. this room of guys are not there to figure out why this is. They have other reasons to save the world.  :hysterical: :hysterical:
I have had some thoughts and a email and a phone call. I will post up this weekend what I need. I don't have any type of acrylics so a straight  very clear barrel 5/8" dia. 3" long with a thin wall thickness (anything that will allow better view) with a black insert that will stick in the barrel 2 1/4 " with a .010 white mylar reed. I will blow this call and have a back up plan with compressed air if needed. I will give it some good hail calls and some quick quacks. That might be all I have time to do. Get a recording of what the reed does and where it does it. I will save the  call just as is when done so I can get some measurements of reed placement and insert in the barrel.

Remember guys, I feel very lucky to have a chance to do this and I am excited to do it. I promise to give this me best shot without losing my Job. Or I will have to move in and work for Wade.  :rofl: :rofl: Wade I have a wife and 3 kids at home how much room do you have.  :eek:
I don't have any specks on the camera system other than it cost more than my House did when I bought it.  But I will get some of that and see what happens. what ever happens i am sure we all will learn something and maybe able to help better understanding what the reed does and where it does it at. If this does fail I hope it will push some else to continue this quest.

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 10:08:24 PM »
Thanks, Ron!  Good luck!

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 10:11:00 PM »
I think a straight barrel with give the best view, no curves and thin.  Also compressed air, or an air compressor with a way to control the pressure.   I think you could just duct tape the air source to the mouth end.  Even the exhaust of a vacuum cleaner would work, only thing is you cannot easily lower the air volume.

I also really don't think you need to be concerned about a real calling sequence all we want to prove is how the reed operates. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 12:10:40 AM »
Didn't get a chance to take a pick of my barrel that I used. It is straight clear acrylic with a threaded end and a air hose fitting screwed into it. The problem I had with the air compressor test was not being able to get the air flow down. The pressure was plenty low, but air flow is the issue. All I could get out of the call was the highest, loudest ring you have ever heard. Perhaps I would need a better regulator for air flow.

Just put a bunch of cotton in your mouth for a bit and take it out right before you blow the call :hysterical:

I will take a picture of my barrel tomorrow.
Chris Wright

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 06:48:33 AM »
Keep it very short when calling. Anything longer and the barrel is going to fog up. Maybe hold an ice cube in your mouth prior to calling to buy a few more seconds 

Caney Creek Calls

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
As for as regulating the air, I believe a flow regulator (liter's per minute/scfm) would be better than a pressure regulator (psi). You can probably just use a needle valve to control air flow also and it may be easier that way. I may be able to help if you want a flow regulator but it will be next week before I could. Just let me know Ron.

Lewis
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:24:06 AM by Caney Creek Calls »

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2014, 10:43:27 AM »
Here is what I made to do this without the highspeed camera. It is a little dirty because it has been lying around for a year or more, but you get the idea. Looking at the profile picture it appears you may want a third dark color in the back ground of the barrel to give a better view of the reed. Anyway, hope this gives you some ideas on how to do the barrel. And yes a flow regulator is key to the air hose method.

Chris Wright

Offline M. Miller

• New Forum Member
    • M. Miller  Little Wing Duck Calls
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 01:06:47 PM »
Really exciting topic! As far as camera angles go, side view and a front view of the insert would be the best. My educated hypothesis is in two parts:

1. The insert's toneboard slope and overall hole specs, manipulate how well the reed vibrates to create pitches. Pitch is created in concert with sustaining air pressure, and the ability of the reed to freely move. Too much or too little air pressure creates a negative response in resistance on the reed (back bowing), hence the marking underneath the reed itself.
2. The reed vibration is not just an up and down motion, but a wobbling effect. The wobble is more differentiated with the evenness of the toneboard left to right of the tone channel and how the reed is dog eared.

Looking forward to the outcome wherever it may lead.

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 11:37:40 AM »
This could be pretty cool if it shakes out!  I'd suggest having the call mounted in some sort of fixture (perhaps drill a hole in the barrel and thread it on to a tripod) to hold the call steady during the filming. 

I think we'd get the best information from an actual cadence, not just a constant flow of air.  The reed is likely doing different things during feed chatter, quacks and ringing hails.  Would be neat to see it all if possible. 

Thanks for doing this, and I'm thrilled to see all the offers of parts, funds and ideas.

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• New Forum Member
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 12:18:58 PM »
This may be a dumb suggestion, but doesn't Rain-X make an anti fog solution?  Never used it, and I don't know if it would work in this situation.  However, I think seeing all the various calls is important, and breathing into a clear call is surely going to fog it up. 

Offline FS Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 10:30:09 PM »
There is an antifog for your mask when diving.  Best bet or warm the call to body temperature.  Good luck. 
Thor

Offline clintfaas

• New Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 09:52:42 AM »
If you're short on time and just want to see vibration, one thing you could do to combat condensation in the call is to inhale on the insert end rather than blowing into the barrel like normal.  Not a normal sound, but still gets some vibration without all the additional equipment.
"Nature is an open book for those who care to read. Each grass-covered hillside is a page on which is written the history of the past, conditions of the present and the predictions for the future." -- J. E. Weaver