Author Topic: Reed Slap vs Vibration  (Read 13689 times)

BLKDOGS

Reed Slap vs Vibration
« on: March 06, 2014, 03:06:49 PM »
Ok guys here is the deal, I have the OK to do this and if we can figure out how to share the video, I have that oK also.  :bigup:

I am not a real technical guy. I will need some help, maybe but me and my coworkers are willing to try this.
Is this a true stayment, 150 years of duck call making and we dont know why it makes the QUACK sound?

Work is having a Kaizan event part of that event is the one guy to teach others how to use the high speed camera. They are willing to use this question to do that. I would like to keep it simple. Does the red slap or vibrate, thats it. I dont want to push them for more on company time.

The Date of this event is Monday 3 17 2014. That is right around the corner.

What I know I need, is a SUPER CLEAR Call barrle so we can see throught it. With Black insert with a white reed to contrast ??? Hopefully see what is happening. After that I not sure. It been a super busy day and my head is spinning  :wacko:

let me know wghat you think of that .
Wade I sent you a email.   

I will check back in here after I get the girls home from 4H meeting tonight. Post up some comments and questions here. and lets try to crack this thing.

Offline Gouldman

• New Forum Member
  • Goulds Custom Calls & Custom Bands
    • Gould's Custom Calls
Re: Reed Slap vs Vibration
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:34:24 PM »
You are the man Ron....This will be awesome if you can pull it off Buddy.  Appreciate the effort regardless of the outcome. Thanks to all involved. :2up:
Of all the things I've lost while call making...its my mind I miss the most.
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.

Offline Chris at Owens Custom Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Owens Custom Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:39:17 PM »
this is awesome, but sad.  The issue will finally (hopefully) be put to rest and we couldn't argue about it any more.  Go Team NoReedSlap!  :hysterical:

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 03:53:44 PM »
Will be interesting to see the outcome of all this.  I'm personally in the NoReedSlap camp but am prepared to be wrong if need be!  May need a poll on this to see who's on which team....

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 04:06:17 PM »

Ron, this is awesome!  You are going to be able to answer a debate as old as what duck calls are.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls

• New Forum Member
    • Pure Hunting Custom Game Calls
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »
Very cool.  Has there been any discussion about the curve of the barrel inside and out will affect the image?  Could be time for the square barrel and insert.
Vegetarian - that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter”

If I'm not arguing with you, then you are right.

(John Atkins - formerly Predhead )
http://www.purehuntingcalls.com
http://www.facebook.com/PureHuntingCustomGameCalls

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 04:16:15 PM »
I did this with a round clear acrylic barrel and I could see pretty darn good with my eye what was going on. The highspeed camera should just be a good conformation. I think round will be fine. Just needs to be clear. I will take a picture of mine tonight when I get a chance and let you guys decide if round will work. As long as the lighting is good there should be no problems. One other question, how many frames per second is the camera?
Chris Wright

Offline Chris @ STW Outdoors

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 04:18:31 PM »
Also, I may have a line on a camera as well. I could go into other areas like what different style tone boards do to read movement and so on. As well as the different tones and what the reed does on that i.e. ring, quack, feeder, and so on.
Chris Wright

Offline Jared at Woodruff Outdoors

• New Forum Member
    • Woodruff Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »
Also, I may have a line on a camera as well. I could go into other areas like what different style tone boards do to read movement and so on. As well as the different tones and what the reed does on that i.e. ring, quack, feeder, and so on.

That will be interesting...to see from different angles.  Maybe everyone is right.  Maybe on the ringing hail calls, the reed never touches the toneboard (similar to making noises with large sheets of poster board).  Maybe during a feed call, the reed is all over the toneboard.  Who knows...yet!  I am very interested to see the results.

Jared

Offline James Strickland

• Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Bayou Legacy Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2014, 04:32:41 PM »
And what about the up-slope toneboards?  Think Joe Short said that's what he uses.  May need to video one of those also to see the difference.

Offline stumpjumper

• New Forum Member
    • RM Custom Calls
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2014, 05:16:09 PM »
I would suggest simply keeping it simple.  Clear barrel, black insert and the best caller you can put up there blowing the call.

Remember this is on work time so these guys aren`t getting paid for their time or equipment. 

STUMP
www.rmcustomcalls.com

Only 2 defining forces have ever offered to die for you....Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2014, 05:53:22 PM »
If you can put compressed air to it and regulate it, that will be better than a human blowing on it and fogging up the clear acrylic with condensation.

Brian
You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Wade@WEBFoot

• New Forum Member
    • WEBFoot Custom Calls
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
I think the best thing will be a barrel that is a cylinder... no "shape" to fish eye the image any more than the actual cylinder will do.

I can send stuff if I have it, and have time to get it put together.  Been kinda swamped here recently...  :surrender:
Wish I had a contract helper...  Could use one

Down side of compressed air is presentation...    If the reed isnt operating properly due to improper air presentation - might it skew the results?

Wade
www.webfootcustomcalls.com
Call Making Tools, Parts, Services... and calls when I have time :D

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 07:09:31 PM »
Would be intersting to see where the bore channel ends in relationship to the reed while it is moving.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline jcz

• New Forum Member
  • You want some??
    • Trophygamecalls
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 08:05:02 PM »
Ron, I have a clear barrel if you need it. It has my normal shape and a stainless band on it but it is clear as can be. I just looked at it and I can see the toneboard and reed very well through it.
Maybe some one else can step up and provide a black insert if you need it also. OR I can make one but it will this weekend before I can do that.
August Call Makers Throwdown Winner
http://www.trophygamecalls.embarqspace.com/