The Art of Handcrafting Custom Game Calls > Handcrafting Traditional Reelfoot Duck Calls

Making a reelfoot insert jig

(1/2) > >>

Henry H:
Marvin asked in another thread that I post here as I begin working with my millimg machine.  Well, I finally got it squared up to acceptable tolerances, so started working on a jig for my inserts.  I decided to do it differently than Fred's.  I plan to surface the toneboard and mill the tonechannel before final turning, so my jig will have a 1-1/8" channel for inserting the insert blank, which I'll hold in place with setscrews.

I'm using a piece of 2x2 aluminum (6061).  First task was to cut a 4" section.

Then I put it on the mill to machine the ends square.

Then I started a hole on either end with a center drill, then drilled it through on the mill with a 3/4" drill bit, then started boring out the hole with a boring bar.  It is 1-1/16" now about 3/4 of the way through (will have to flip the block and finish from the other end once I get it to 1-1/8").

I may get a little more done tomorrow, but if not it will probably be next weekend before another update.

dogcatcher:
The first thing you need to do is get a metal cutting bandsaw, or put a motor on that hacksaw.  With that hacksaw you are doing it my way.  I cut 48 pieces of brass rod this afternoon, one hacksaw stroke at a time.  My shoulder will thank me in the morning.  LOL

Waiting to see the next step, for me making the "gadgets" is what I enjoy the most about callmaking.

Marvin

Henry H:
Ha!  Don't do enough to warrant a metal bandsaw, though it would be nice!  For now, though, a hacksaw and some elbow grease does fine.

I got more done today than I planned, and neglected to take pictures along the way, so only have the aftermath to show.  I still need to tap the holes for setscrews, but otherwise it is pretty much done.  Now to find some time in the next few weeks to try it out (after I find time to clean up the aluminum mess I had fun making).

Cedar Creek:
Very impressive Henry :bigup:

FDR:
Sure like what I have seen so far Henry!  Interesting concept.

Fred

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version