Author Topic: Just picked these two reelfoot calls up  (Read 5565 times)

Offline Flight Control CC

• New Forum Member
Just picked these two reelfoot calls up
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:28:54 PM »
Here are two calls I came across today to start my reelfoot collection. The first one is a R.L. Zirkle, from Parkin, AR. He passed on a few years ago. Made in 1992

The second is a bean lake E Stofer dated somewhere around 1940ish. Maybe y'all could clarify that for me.

Let me know if I made a good score. Thanks guys love your reelfoot calls and hopefully I can own one soon. Alan

Offline FDR

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
Re: Just picked these two reelfoot calls up
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:19:13 AM »
Nice start to a Reelfoot collection.  The Stofer "Bean Lake" is a commercial call from the 1930's to 1950's. They were made in Kansas City, MO. A walnut barrel and maple insert are the most common configuration. There are some variations to watch for such as a longer or shorter barrel and inserts made from other that maple. Most are marked with either "Stofer" or the "Stofer Bean Lake" marking.  The tone channel and reed are longer than common now but they sound pretty good when properly tuned. Another good commercial Reelfoot call from the same time period is the "Oscar Quam". They also sound really good when tuned.
My reference material contained no information on R. L. Zirkle. 

Fred
Fred Roe
Reelfoot, the original duck call. What's on your lanyard?

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 11:46:48 AM »
Fred,

Thanks for the reply and a little clarification on the stofer. The zirkle is an arkansas call maker from Parkin, Ar. He passed a few years ago and his calls are not for sale very often. I will try and dig up some info from a few guys I know and post it here when I do. Thanks again.

Alan

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:53:23 AM »
This is from the guy I purchased them from.

I also visited with Mr. Zirkle a number of times, Great visits and a visit to his log cabin in the back yard was nice also. He moved it there from somewhere out in the country and rebuilt it there put in period things and a number of old guns and showed it to anyone that ask, then someone broke in and stole a lot of items especially the guns and left just a couple or three. The Cabin was on display during the Centennial celebration that Parkin had that year.

The big pin oak in the back yard came from an acorn that he planted from his favorite deck hunting spot.

He went on to say how he got started making calls. In the 30's no money and he found a call laying in the street without a reed, he looked at the call and figured he could make one, Don't remember what he did to make enough to go to Sears and buy a lathe but he did, and found some metal shim stock in a hardware store there in Parkin and started making calls. He turned all the barrels on a wood mandrel between centers and the inserts the same way. He then sawed the back for the wedge used a drawing knife to cut the board flat hand drilled the channel hole, whittled a wedge for the tone board, tapered the barrel some to get a tight fit. The shim stock was wide enough he could split it and make 2 reeds. He told me that this was the shim stock he originally bought and had been using on for all those years. He did give me a short piece of it and I think I still have it.

He made 3 different barrels, one plain, one that he outlined as a checker pattern but no checkering and another laminated with a number of different colored pieces. He always stamped his name and date on the barrels.

Hope you find these little tidbits interesting, from a part of duck call making.

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 03:19:30 PM »
Most interesting!  Thanks. 

He probably did not make a lot of calls or that was a mighty long roll of shim stock!

Fred
Fred Roe

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »
Fred, would you happen to have the book legacy of the American duck call? R.L. zirkle calls are in that book. I have been doing a little research online. It says his calls are on page 125 in the index but it isn't online where I found portions of the book.

One cool thing on the call I bought is that the wedge, insert and barrel are all stamped with an 8 on each piece. I am assuming that is done so you can tell all the pieces are original to the call????

Thanks in advance,
Alan

Offline sesimmons

• New Forum Member
    • Simmons Custom Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 02:59:13 PM »
Alan,

Zirkle calls are awesome. He was a cool old guy from what I understand. From a collecting standpoint, ignore the dates he stamped in them. I wont give names, lol, but a collector told him later in life that he should stamp his calls with the dates made. He never did that originally, thus he went back and stamped what he had made. The dates can be so far off that it is funny. Either way, great call to have!

Scott

Offline FDR

• New Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 03:35:56 PM »
Fred, would you happen to have the book legacy of the American duck call? R.L. zirkle calls are in that book. I have been doing a little research online. It says his calls are on page 125 in the index but it isn't online where I found portions of the book.

One cool thing on the call I bought is that the wedge, insert and barrel are all stamped with an 8 on each piece. I am assuming that is done so you can tell all the pieces are original to the call????

Thanks in advance,
Alan
I have Harlan's previous book but not the latest one. Sorry. Maybe someone else has a copy!

Fred
Fred Roe

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 05:17:38 PM »
Thanks Scott. I just found it interesting that all the parts are stamped with an 8.

I'll check around and see if I can find more info Fred. Thanks again

ben

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 05:31:25 PM »
That 8 means that he was working on at least 8 calls at that time and the number was stamped so he knew which wedge block went to each call.

ben

• New Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 06:01:49 PM »
Thanks Ben! That's the info I was looking for