Author Topic: Al's Excellent Advernture With A Prototype Wood Howler  (Read 4706 times)

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
Al's Excellent Advernture With A Prototype Wood Howler
« on: March 27, 2008, 07:14:15 PM »
A gentleman asked me to make him a wood howler - 

Now every call maker worth his wood chips knows that a wood howler is nothing more than an open reed call body on steroids with a howler tone board in it.  Nothing special in that.  And for that fact, it just would not do for this project.  I had to come up with something else.

After much thought and a couple of beers, I had a brainstorm.  Or Fart you decide.

I grabbed a 2 x 2 x 4 inch block of maple, drilled it a bit off center and then sat down with the Foredom and a couple of Kutzall Bits.  I figured what was the worst that could happen?

When the big old Kutzal jumped off the end of the blank and hit my finger, that was bad,

But it wasn't the worst that could happen.   When it jumped off the second time, and got the same finger again, I figured I was getting close though.

When it jumped off the third time, I was READY!  Got that finger out of the way quick and thought to myself "ha - missed me sucker" to which the Foredom and Kutzal of Death just snickered as it made a bee line right for the fleece pull over I was wearing.  It proceeded to wrap it self up in the fleece at 18000 rpm and then jump up and smack me in the head and break the shaft of the Foredom.

A cup of coffee, a few bad words and a visit to the Foredom web site to order a couple more shafts and I was ready to try again.  This time with the Dremmel and a Smaller Kutzal of Death bit.  I got a band aide for the finger too.  And a couple spares just in case   :iroll:

A day later, I had something that I thought held some promise.

It's 5 3/4" long with the tone board.  I figure I will shorten it up about 3/4 of an inch on the next one.

I think it holds some promies and if he likes the style I will dig up some nice wood this weekend and get started on it.  If not, back to the drawing board.

AL @ THO

Offline Troy of Run -N- Gun Game Calls

• New Forum Member
Re: Al's Excellent Advernture With A Prototype Wood Howler
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:29:00 PM »
Nice Al,Them carving bit eat skin quick.Had the same thing happen to me.And let me tell you blood soaks into basswood fast.

Offline BigB

• THO Game Calls Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Byers Custom Calls THO gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »

LOL Al.  And I got a good chuckle as I was reading it.  Sorry bout the misfortune on the finger and the Fordom shaft, but I can chuckle because I can see myself doing the same things. :-[  A good idea always has its consequences.  :( 

The call looks very nice, and if it needs a home..... ;)

Brian

You won't get money rich in this hobby.  The richness is in the culture, the craft, the friends you meet along the way, and being able to call in a wary game animal with a call that you made with your own hands.

Offline Braz

• THO Game Calls Asst Forum Manager
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
    • Calls by Braz
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:55:38 PM »
Yep, been there, done that. But I didn't let it bit more than one. I figured that was enough. Still, it hurt like hell for several days.

Nice call. I like it a lot.
Braz
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.. But I repeat myself."--Mark Twain

“Witnessing the Republicans and the Democrats bicker over the U.S. debt is like watching two drunks argue over a bar bill on the Titanic.”

Offline VECtor Calls

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
  • VECtor Custom Calls
    • VECtor Custom Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 10:56:34 PM »
That's a VERY impressive call, and its worth more with the awesome story that goes along with it!   :P

Did you have Mommy kiss it for you?   :-*  My Mommy would've.   ;D  ;)

I'm glad you shared the whole story Al.  Its good to know that I'm not the only one jacking stuff up in their shop.

Parker
Pass on the tradition. A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.

VECtor Custom Calls
Deer Grunt Calls Turkey Calls and Other Custom Game Calls

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:11:44 AM »
That is one beauty of a call.  I don't have the patience for that much hand work, besides I like all  10 of my fingers in one piece, I have enough aches and pains without trying to make more.

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Yotehntr

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 01:46:59 AM »
I believe the pains were worth it Al! Give's the pic of a coyote with it's mouth open to howl to me.  ;D

Offline HaMeR

• New Forum Member
    • brightwoodturnings
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 07:15:14 AM »
Cool!!  8)
RIP Russ,Blaine,& Darrell!!

Glen

2014-15TBC-- 11

Offline Hawks Feather

• New Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 06:55:25 PM »
I have to agree that you ended up with an awesome looking howler.

Jerry
Hawk's Feather Calls
Jerry L. Latta
220 Main Street
Defiance, OH  43512-2316
Hawks_Feather@mac.com
http://www.hawksfeathercustompredatorcalls.com/
CPCMCA  http://www.custompredatorcallassociation.com/

Offline Al_at_THO Game Calls

• Owner, THO Game Calls Forums & Store
  • Administrator
  • New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 07:44:52 PM »
I got my new shafts in from Foredom today so I will be cutting some wood tomorrow.  Now that I have the idea in mind, and a prototype made, I can make the little adjustments that will make it better.   These are really not that hard to make.  Takes a few hours but not as bad as I thought it would be.   Of course I say that now.  We will see when I get to trying it again if I feel the same way.   The whole idea was when I was asked to make a wood howler for this gentleman, was to make one that would be "special" in some way for him.   I thought a small wood howler that looked like a cow horn howler would be just the ticket. 

Al @ THO