Author Topic: Stabilizing vessel question?  (Read 7857 times)

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
Stabilizing vessel question?
« on: January 07, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
one of the things I've learned since I joined up here last week, was the wealth of information here.  In that info, I learned about the stabilization of certain woods, specifically Spalted woods.  I've got a bunch of spalted Sycamore, and Spalted Hackberry, that I've put off the side, because I didn't like it, and didn't know what to do with it.  This Stabilization process may just be what I need to utilize these woods into turkey calls.  I have an old fish aquarium, approx. 10X20, that might make a good chamber.  My question is, do you think an old aquarium will work?  If so, all I need to get is a plexiglass top.  I have an old a/c vacuum pump at work that I never use anymore for work, so I have most of the pieces.  Anybody want to chime in on weather or not it will work?  Thanks.

Austy

Re: Stabilizing vessel question?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00:27 PM »
I know that I wouldn't use it!!  I would think that if you pull a complete vacum it would probably implode!!!

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 04:03:32 PM »
I know that I wouldn't use it!!  I would think that if you pull a complete vacum it would probably implode!!!

That's what I was wondering about.  Might just have to make me a chamber, or buy one cheap.

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
found a 13x10x3 vacuum chamber on ebay for $117, for stabilizing wood.  Do you think this is a good deal?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BHO-VACUUM-CHAMBER-SILICONE-URATHANE-DEAIRING-STABILIZE-WOOD-BURL-MAKING-MOLDS-/121249701881

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 07:22:29 PM »
If you want to do the valve work. This should do the trick for you. IMHO. Others may want to chime in....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSG0ON2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 07:23:31 PM »
You won't find a better product or better product support than you'll find from Curtis at TurnTex right here on this forum.  The fish tank idea probably won't hold water, literally.

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 07:26:32 PM »
If you want to do the valve work. This should do the trick for you. IMHO. Others may want to chime in....

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CSG0ON2/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Lon

thanks,  I was looking for something that I could at least put 2 or 3 blanks in and stabilize at the same time.  Saw several 3 and 5 gallon ones
for similar pricing, but figure that's way too big.  Does this Curtis guy sell vacuum chambers?

Offline Aaron at Wingerts Woodworks

• Global Mentor & Moderator
  • New Forum Member
    • Wingert's Woodworks
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 07:29:33 PM »
Yes, he sells small ones too, and they're very reasonably priced.

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 09:16:15 PM »
Jon Kennedy also sells chambers.  Jon's are glass cylinders of various sizes.  He also offers a "dry system" that allows pulling a vacuum dry then adding resin, which shortens the overall vacuum time.  I have one of Jon's and have been very happy with it.  Curtis makes a great chamber, too... square, clear pvc/acrylic.  Last I checked he was 2-3 months backordered.  I don't know if Jon is backordered.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:37:05 PM by Henry H »

Offline RVivian

• New Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »
Yes, Curtis makes Vaccum chambers, rectangular and round upright types.  www.turntex.com is his site address.  I have one of his round chambers and have had no problems from it.  Go to his site, get his phone number and give him a call, evenint 6pm to midnite.

Ray
RAY

Central Texas

Offline Henry H

• New Forum Member
    • HH Reelfoot Call Journal
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:41:43 PM »
To whomever modified my post with "you can't do that and you know better", please drop me a pm and let me know what I did that I shouldn't have done.  If there is some historic issue here, I apologize as I'm unaware of it.

Offline Lon @ First Flight Game Calls

• New Forum Member
  • love that quack whackin'
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 12:08:39 PM »
I should have stated the size of the latch lid acrylic vessel for information. It is 8" high and 8" in diameter. I believe there would be plenty of room for a number of blanks. Parts for the valves amount to less than $25.00

Lon
Government can't solve the problem...Government is the problem. Reagan

Good work ain't cheap and cheap work ain't good!

Offline dogcatcher

• New Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:27 PM »
Find a used paint pot on Craigslist.  If you get a 2 1/2 to 5 gallon pot, you can get smaller containers to use inside of it, I use old Tupperware containers so I only have to use the amount of resin I need.   Change out the pressure gauge to a vacuum gauge and replumb the hoses.  Best source of information is on International Association of Penturners, they were doing stabilization years before callmakers. 

Marvin
Combat Infantryman, the ultimate hunter where the prey shoots back.
Old style calls for today's outdoorsman
"Call and they will come."
Helping those that are helping themselves.

Offline Scott Ashburn

• New Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 09:26:25 PM »
I put a bid on one of the vessels on Ebay.  Should find out if I won the auction tomorrow night.  If so, I'll be 75% there to start stabilizing.